DIY 1x12 Guitar Cabinet Build

David E H

• Members

I'm just full of the DIY spirit right now! Anyways, here's my first speaker cabinet build. The head cabinet is coming up next.

The wood is 3/4" pine from shelving in my 80 year old pantry. It's roughly 17" wide, 15.5" tall, and 9.5" thick. Here it goes:

First, I clamped the whole thing together and put 3 nails through each board:

DSC00675.jpg

DSC00676.jpg

(Nailing through knots can split the wood! I'm just removing that nail)

DSC00677.jpg

Then I stretched the joints back out about half a centimeter.

DSC00678.jpg

Then the glue(Titebond) was applied, and the joints were put back together and clamped. I also added some reinforcements and put 6 nails through each. Small enough that they wouldn't go all the way through though....

DSC00679.jpg

DSC00680.jpg

DSC00681.jpg

• Members

Overnight:

DSC00682.jpg

Then I sanded by hand and with an electric sander. I used whatever I had, but mostly 100 and 150 grit sand paper.

DSC00683.jpg

Next, I applied Minwax stain lightly with a rag. I believe the dye is "Golden Pecan" but I can't remember. Anyways, it's the same stuff used on my kitchen table.

DSC00686.jpg

DSC00685.jpg

This is as far as I've gotten, and I'm letting it dry right now. My next step is going to be to white-wash it:

DSC00687.jpg

I still have some decisions to make with it still. Like, if I want to lacquer it or not. I guess I'll just have to see how the white-wash turns out. I have some Krylon spray satin lacquer I could apply. I also need to get the supplies for the baffle, grill frame, and decide on a speaker.

I want to keep it rustic looking, so this'll be a good template for DIY'ers who like to keep it simple, and use what is on hand.....like me.

Enjoy

Oh, and take a look at my 4-foot cilantro plant:

DSC00688-1.jpg

• Members

Rounds 1 and 2:

DSC00689.jpg

DSC00691.jpg

DSC00692.jpg

I'm just wiping it on and then wiping it off. I've done it a couple times now and I'm thinking it looks good enough to keep. I think it might look better with more paint though.

What do you guys think? Maybe it was weird to add stain before, but I wanted it to look a little bit richer than just a straight pine look.

• Members

That is so cool! What are you using to whitewash it? It's giving me some ideas for an ash guitar I have.

The cilantro looks nice, but the herb will turn bitter if you let it go to seed. It's good to keep nipping buds off and cutting it back until it bushes out really nice. You can dry the parts you cut back. Cutting it back forces it to grow more dense and the essential oils more intense. At the end of the season, you can let it go to seed and save seeds for next year.

The same applies to any fragrant herb. They may look pretty with flowers but if you plan to use the herbs, cut those buds off as soon as you see them.

Now grow some Roma-type tomatoes and jalape

• Members

Ooooh Katillac......

DSC00696.jpg

DSC00698.jpgDSC00699.jpgDSC00700.jpgDSC00701.jpg

Pico De Gallo all summer!

Anyways...the white-wash is just watered down white latex water based paint. I would apply it with a cloth, and then remove it with paper towels....you can let it sit longer though if you want more stain.

• Members

I like the fact that you're using reclaimed material for this project. Just poking fun earlier. No harm intended. And it looks good.

Ha...you're fine....I quite honestly, could not think of a reply to that statement.

Yeah, I'm trying to spend as little money as possible. I just spend my first $10 buying handles and 1/2" plywood for the baffle. Everything else is just leftover stuff. Gotta get some black paint!

• Members

Ooooh Katillac......

Pico De Gallo all summer!

Anyways...the white-wash is just watered down white latex water based paint. I would apply it with a cloth, and then remove it with paper towels....you can let it sit longer though if you want more stain.

Hmmm. I reckon my stain needs to be water based too then, yes? I have to dig out that stain anyway. I bought it a while back to redo my bed frame, but I decided to just let it age clumsily (that "road worn" look, yaknow).

In that most recent batch of pictures - the first picture - there is some vine with heart-shaped leaves. I don't know what part of the country (or country, for that matter) you're in, but that's usually a very aggressive member of the morning glory family. It grows wild here and I mean W-I-L-D. It does produce some tasty tubers, but by then, the vine already has taken over the area.

If it's vine from a sweet potato, nevermind =)

• Members

You know, I'm not sure about the stain.....I believe most Minwax is water based...so that's what I did.....

Yeah....I'm always unwinding those vines from the other plants and stuff to get them off. But the cilantro is insane. I bought two little plants last year and let them seed. Then the seeds went everywhere and thus, cilantro is everywhere. It's like a weed now, but it smells so good.....and I'm still finding cherry tomato seedlings all over the place....

• Members

Ha...you're fine....I quite honestly, could not think of a reply to that statement.

Yeah, I'm trying to spend as little money as possible. I just spend my first $10 buying handles and 1/2" plywood for the baffle. Everything else is just leftover stuff. Gotta get some black paint!

I vote whitewash. That's a good look and very unique. Throw some clear at it & be done.

• Members

Speaker cutout looks perfect! I'm in the process of building a 112 x 110 cab out of finger jointed cedar plank. Hey, I found it in my PRS wood pile so the price was right! Stuff splinters easily & is kind of soft. So my speaker cutouts aren't the greatest, but black paint hides alot. For the uninformed PRS stands for pack rat syndrome. Most of us DIY'ers are severely afflicted.

• Members

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It should be finished within the next couple days, except for the grill frame and a permanent speaker.

Speaker cutout looks perfect! I'm in the process of building a 112 x 110 cab out of finger jointed cedar plank. Hey, I found it in my PRS wood pile so the price was right! Stuff splinters easily & is kind of soft. So my speaker cutouts aren't the greatest, but black paint hides alot. For the uninformed PRS stands for pack rat syndrome. Most of us DIY'ers are severely afflicted.

I used an old baffle board from a cheapo Thomas organ to trace my cut.

• Members

I'm front mounting the speakers on my project, so the size I think is a bit different. One of these days I'll invest in a plunge router & make a jig for it. Got 3 people who want speaker cab work done. Maybe I'll put that on my Santa wish list. Now to figure out how to make that jig.......

• Members

Hi, my name is Kat and I have terminal PRS.

At least with your cedar, you won't have to be concerned about bugs, particularly silverfish. And it should smell nice, too!

• Members

Alright....almost done....

Handles! I bought a 2-pack of brass cabinet handles at Home Depot for about $3 and then painted them black....

DSC00720.jpg

Here's a pic of the cab with the speaker from my Traynor TS-50 inside.....sounds pretty good, and less "woofy" than inside the combo cab.

DSC00719.jpg

Oh man....that amp looks so naked, don't you think it could use a head cabinet?

DSC00716.jpg

Part Deux!:mad:

Archived