Vintage Microphone

David E H

• Members

I just picked up this old Turner Crystal 33X today:

DSC00754.jpg

I haven't found too much info on the internet, but it seems that it's fairly old. Anyways, the cable that came with it was cut. I tried soldering a 1/4 mono jack to it, but I still can't get it to work. The other side of the cable has a really old styling of screw-in connector....like this: F-20-XLR_Mic_cable_web.jpg

I guess my question now is what connector goes on the other end? Should it

be XLR? Should I just replace the whole cable at this point?

• Members

Its a CB/ Ham Radio mic. Won't be much for fidelity. Need to run it high impediance with possibly an attenuator if it has a high output. Might be neat on a guitar amp or some background vocals to get that megaphone telephone sound. Its always good to have a well stocked tool kit for recording. The midrange that thing puts out may fill a nitche some other mic is missing and the blend of an overdriven midrange mic blended with a full frequency mic may have a unique sound especially if it had effects on on of the two while the other is dry.

They do make great harp mics and can drive a guitar amp into overdrive well like a green bullet does.

• Members

Its a CB/ Ham Radio mic. Won't be much for fidelity. Need to run it high impediance with possibly an attenuator if it has a high output. Might be neat on a guitar amp or some background vocals to get that megaphone telephone sound. Its always good to have a well stocked tool kit for recording. The midrange that thing puts out may fill a nitche some other mic is missing and the blend of an overdriven midrange mic blended with a full frequency mic may have a unique sound especially if it had effects on on of the two while the other is dry.

They do make great harp mics and can drive a guitar amp into overdrive well like a green bullet does.

Right.....I'm not gonna use it multi-track a bunch of instruments, but like you said, it might be good for some vintagey/lo-fi type sounds.....or distorted back-up vocals.

The question still remains....do I need XLR for it to work correctly? It doesn't need significant phantom powering, right?

• Members

Alright.....the problem remains inside.....I opened up the mic and found this:

DSC00759.jpg

The transducer was totally unattached and the ground wire was broken off. So, I soldered it back on......and it still doesn't work....you can see in this next picture that it's in pretty terrible condition:

DSC00762.jpg

So, I still think I'd like to hold onto it 'cause it looks really cool, but can I find a decent replacement part? I have a similar transducer that came out of a Silvertone reed organ which has that cool old distorted vocals sound, but I figure that I might be able to find something cooler to do with this.

Are there any good/interesting microphone circuits that I could fit inside the capsule?

edit: I found this I could use at the bottom of this page: http://www.surplussales.com/microphones-audio/MicroAudio-4.html

• Members

High impediance, 1/4" like a guitar cord. You could use a canon connector if thats the only input you have and only use the hot side but the input on low z mic input will probibly be way too hot without a high to low impediance transformer.

• Members

Weird, I actually have the exact same mic. I bought it at a thrift store for like $5. We used it as one of two mics on the keyboard amp and recorded a whole album with it. :idk:

It uses a high impedance 1/4" cable that connects to that weird screw on cable.

Archived