How do I build a box with expression knob control

jw112

• Members

Expression pedal is pretty broad term in guitar electronics these days. It used to be the volume pedal for Organs but its used more widely now. A panner, a wah, overdrive, infact any effect used by the feet can be called an expression pedal.

If you're wanting the most basic volume control, just get a 500K pot and 2 jacks and wire it like a guitar knob is where tha pot gradually shorts the hot and cold wires together like a valve cuts off water. Use the center lug and a side lug. One side lug will make it lower volume turning clockwise, the other counter clockwise.

• Members

Are you thinking about using a footpedal to controll what some of the knobs do on the box?

If so it can be done to some degree. What pot is needed in a footpedal depends on what value pot in the echo you want to control. You would need to find a schmatic to find the values, remove the actual pots from the circuit and measure them with an ohm meter, or if you're luckey read the values stamped on the pot cans.

Using something like a volume pedal that has a pot in it has done and isnt too difficult. there are some tricks to it. You need a TRS jackwith switching thet will disconnect the built in pot and route its wiring to the pot in the volume pedal. You could also have sets of switches with resistors that have set values and use them as a stepped setting.

You could have a resistor and switch that increases the echo speed from say a slow echo to a faster echo. The volume pedal connected to the speed knob can warp the notes played which is pretty neat too.

Not sure if this is what you were wanting, just suggestions.

• Members

im pretty sure the type of expression pedal he is talking about is the type u plug into an other via a single 1/4 inch ack to control a variable.

such as this one: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-EV5--Pedal?sku=151321

what i think he's asking for help with is something for that application but instead of controlling it by rocking the pedal back and forth he wants to turn a nob to change the variable.

• Members

im pretty sure the type of expression pedal he is talking about is the type u plug into an other via a single 1/4 inch ack to control a variable.

such as this one:

what i think he's asking for help with is something for that application but instead of controlling it by rocking the pedal back and forth he wants to turn a nob to change the variable.

Yes, that is what I'm talking about. "drasp" makes them for the dl4. I think I'm gonna have him do it.

This should work if anyone else wants to build one.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/zoom1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived