trying to build a colorsound 1nob fuzz clone

separanets

• Members

I've accomplished my version of the Colorsound one knob fuzz. There's some oddness in my case. The guitar's voulme knob (Gibson SG Standard and Supreme, too) works as a tone/filter knob. The more I turn it down the brighter the sound becomes. And the real tone knob on the guitar doesn't work with the fuzz at all. And it's all ok with my fuzz face copy that I previously built on the same layout.

Since I've never checked out a genuine colorsound fuzz live, I wonder if that behaviour should be such or I there could be a mistake in my assembly. Can you advise anything?

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics/oneknobfuzz.gif

Position R4 in my layout was aimed to be a 1M 5% resistor, but currently it is free of any resistors.

• Members

Log and audio taper are the same thing.

Call me lazy but without having your components labeled, you're making it harder on us. I personally have never used vero before, but I can possibly figure out what's going on if you label your components. DIYLC (that's what you used for the layout, right?) has a function that allows you to switch from component "names" to component values.

• Members

Right, I should have said some of the gibson pots are log and some are linear taper depending on the model thay came from. Some Gibson pots will drop in vilume greatly within the first 1/8 turn, others will decrease in volume smoothly throughout. This might account for the lack of adjustment, (or he has something wired wrong)

• Members

I attached the layout with values of components.

Gibson pots work ok with any other pedal I put it in. I need to know what causes this effect with my colorsound clone, my mistake or something.

My fuzz fase copy is based on the same layout, but only with different component values. And it works fine.

For my FF they are:

R1: 470R

R2: 33K

R3: 8.2K

R4: 1M

R5 100K

R6 1K variable

C1: 2.2u

C2: 22u

C3: 0.01u

• Members

R4 is currently omitted. May be I should insert it like in my FF clone?

I would start there for sure. I don't know much but I know static tone filters have a both a fixed resistor and capacitor going to ground. Since you've omitted R4, my guess is you have a variable resistor (volume knob) and a capacitor to ground.

I'll assume since your pedal generally works that you've got your transistors are oriented right. I don't think they are in the pic, but I'm just going off the top of my head.

Archived