Push pull pot for Ibanez SA120

mel_ms

• Members

Hey peeps!

Will need some help, if anyone is kind enough to help me.Did a search around the forums.Can't find what I'm looking for...

I'm planning to install a seymour duncan Jazz at the neck and seymour duncan JB at my ibanez SA120.

Its connected to a five way selector.You guys think its possible?

Most of the diagrams I found are for 3 way selectors....

Help needed.

And thanks in advance ^.^

• Members

Oh it's definately possible as long as your other pickups aren't EMG's or active.

I installed the Jazz neck pick up and the JB in the bridge of my Takamine GX-200 (awesome pair btw) Then I decided I wanted the coil tap function. SO I gutted all the electronice and put in a pushpull volume pot and two new tone controls to match PRS components.

I'd replace the 5 way, with a 3 way blade switch and replace the volume with pushpull volume.

Wiring Diagram Links:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/mccarty.pdf

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_2t_3w_1pp

Happy wiring!

• Members

Wow...Soldier's question is good.

haha.my guitar looks like this :

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/sa120/index.html

Erm, the current pickup is the Ibanez stock pickup.Double humbuckers. On bridge and neck position.

In my 5 way selector, I'm not too sure if they will split my humbuckers when i go down the selections.Just want the 5 way switch to remain the same as it is right now.Any ideas you can give me to improve the 5 way selection thing?

Therefore, I would like to have the neck SD Jazz-to be split. Meaning I would like to emulate a single coil when i activate the push pull pot.Playing only one of the pickups in the SD jazz so that it will be acoustic sounding kind of thing.

What i see on the forums are information for 3 way selectors push pull pot.not much info for 5 way selectors.Are they the same?

erm..Get my meaning?

Thanks in advance ^.^

• Members

To do any kind of splits,, tapping, series parallel etc you need to open up the controll panel and check what kind of wires are coming off the pups. If they have a single ground and hot wire, you're going no place. If they have 2 or 4 wires then you can do some rewiring if you want. I'd go with a push push put over a push pull myself. Pulling out on a knob and haveing it a 1/2 inch over the body is kind of bugs me. having the knob work like a ball point pen pushbutton is much cooler.

You'd have to do any wiring with a DPST switch but there are alot of things you can do. if the pups do have 4 wires and a ground, I'd go for Series parallel switching. It has the coolest sound change bumping the overdrive up. I'm not a fan of coil splitting for a single coil. Its a whimpy sound and induces hum with uncoverd coils.

If you dont have multi conductors from the pups and just the two wires, I suggest active electronics if you got the space for a battery. Check these out. I've used several different types and they do a great job and long battery life.

http://guitarfuel.com/Home_Page.php

• Members

HH_PARSPLIT_5WAYLEV_1V1T.jpg

Ok here is the switching options you have as of right now....

If I am understanding you correctly, with the way your switch it wired you want to be able to switch the neck pickup to parallel wiring (which will give you the single coil sound) when you are playing in the center switch position. That is no problem. All you have to do is replace the volume pot with a Push/pull or Push/push (which I think prefer actually), and wire it in as such:

wd1h0011_04.jpg

Now the easiest way to do this would be to first swap your neck pickup just connecting the new pickup wires exactly where the old ones were. Next swap out the volume pot and for now ignore the switch aspect, connecting it back up identical to the original pot. Now all you have to do is run jumper wires from the new pickup connections to this switch and the run the grounds from the switch and you will be set to go....

• Members

thanks..wow..

You think installing the push pull pot will be a better function or keeping the humbucker in parallel position would be good?

Looking for a more acoustic sound when I play at the neck position =)

Any insights?

• Members

I would say work in steps personally. Do the pickup swap first and go from there. You might be able to play with the new pickup and the tone control to give you that acoustic sound you are after. If that doesn't give you what you want, then i would say maybe the push/pull pot might be the next step or maybe some more tone controls which I have an idea, but lets go one at a time. These things are better tried in phases, don't do anymore that you have to at one time or you could actually work against yourself.

Archived