Question about grounding shielded wire

seanm27

• Members

OK so I am gonna use some shielded wire for some spots in a rewire I'm about to do.

The wire consists of three wires in a foil shield (black, white, and bare), which is wrapped in a plastic sleeve.

Question 1: the bare wire connects the foil shield to ground, and that creates a farrady shield - is that right?

Question 2: does it only have to be grounded at one end? What I mean is, say I am using it for output jack wire, should I have the bare wire soldered at the pot ground, the output jack ground, or both?

Thanks!!!!!

• Members

Yes to both questions. Its best to ground both ends if possible especially with single coil apps. If you dont need to use both center conductors for signals, ground one. It adds to the shielding especially that foil wrapped stuff. The foil wrapped stuff is more of a data communication wire and has been sold by radio shack and other as low impediance wire for years. Its shouldnt be an issue in a short run unless you start picking up AM radio stations. If you do, you'll know the cause.

• Members

Thanks a lot! I was having a really hard time finding any info about this on the web.

Yes to both questions. Its best to ground both ends if possible especially with single coil apps. If you dont need to use both center conductors for signals, ground one. It adds to the shielding especially that foil wrapped stuff. The foi wrapped stuff is more of a data communication wire and has been sold by radio shack and other as low impediance wire for years. Its shouldnt be an issue in a short run unless you start picking up AM radio stations. If you do, you'll know the cause.

• Members

Yes alot of it you learn through education, first hand experience troubleshooting and study of manufacturing techniques.

I was always one who would question the Why in back of the technology. With a formal education in electronics and working pro you learn why things were done certain ways. If it doesnt follow common sence then its usually done to circumvent patents or reduce manufacturing costs.

Some things they do defy common sence unless you work with engineer designing something that is cheap to build and creates a good profit. The truely great engineers design things that are tech friendly and works well. Everything else tends to be disposable these days.

Good luck on your rewiring.

Archived