thinking about making a kit tele

BrokeDownEngine

• Members

i've been thinking about making a guitar from a kit for a while now, but i'm not totally sure about all the specs. i found a reasonably priced imitation telecaster kit from sagamusic.com, and it seems simple enough, but i really don't have access to a workshop or extensive set of tools. is there usually any woodworking involved in making these all-inclusive kits? also, can i make one with just basic tools and a power drill/driver? i'm not experienced at this, but i think it would be a fun project. if there's anything i should know before i take this on, i'd like to know. also, are there any other good (reasonably priced) places to get a decent DIY guitar kit? thanks a lot!

• Members

The 'all-inclusive' kits don't usually require any real crafting or working, and just some basic tools and a drill will get it together. The best thing I can recomend is work slowly, do a search for some kit build threads on here, and if you have questions through the process, ask before you do... Also look up one of WRGKMC's threads on setup. There should be a couple if you go back a few pages as well...

• Members

I dont want to say that they are bad per say, I mean you definitely can find better ones. Your ear might actually like them. When it comes to pickups, more expensive isn't always the best sounding. Depends on the sound you are looking for and how your ear likes them. I think you should be able to get by with them for awhile till you find some to upgrade to. GFS has a nice Tele set, and so does MightyMite... Then if you want you can go with S.D. or whatever your ear likes... I have been getting into MightyMite and GFS. Lately. I think Jeff is his name, has some really nice stuff... I actually made my own little catalog of his stuff and use it in my shop as well...

• Members

The Saga kits take more setup. You may find frets that need dressed or a nut that needs massaged (I got 2 of those & I didn't need to spend any money:lol:) The Carvin kits damn near put themselves together. More initial cash outlay but in the long run cheaper.

• Members

I've only made one kit, but I did alot of reading about different ones before I did. I read a number of bad reviews of the saga kits but also some people were happy with them. I got a kit from byoguitar.com and was very happy with the quality, I even like the pups. I've also read good things about GFS kits.

Archived