Building a Thinline Tele

BrokeDownEngine

• Members

So I'm picking up a semi-hollow Thinline Telecaster kit from byoguitar.com. All holes come pre-drilled and all electronics come pre-soldered. I plan to finish the guitar using a walnut-colored wood stain, but I probably won't glaze/lacquer the finish. I also plan to install a Bigsby tremolo after the guitar's completion. I don't have access to too many tools, just the basic ones and a power drill, but I didn't think that would be so much of a problem considering everything is pre-drilled/soldered. This is my first build, and I'd like to know if I'm doing anything wrong/right so far, I really have no idea. There will be more posts with the status of the project, and plenty of questions along the way. Any comments, criticisms, helpful remarks, scathing insults, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

• Members

I got a kit from byo. I liked the quality of the components and all, but somebody's soldering leaves something to be desired. You would probably be better off resoldering all the connections now and be sure they're good before you put it together, just to save time later rather than trying to track down the bad connection then.

• Members

My first build was a Carvin guitar I did for a friend of mine many years ago. I think this is the best way to do your first build. Walnut stain sounds cool. I recommend reading the instructions on the stain to determine if any conditioner is needed before staining. Funny thing about instructions is they can help you get better results. Imagine that..........

• Members

My first build was a Carvin guitar I did for a friend of mine many years ago. I think this is the best way to do your first build. Walnut stain sounds cool. I recommend reading the instructions on the stain to determine if any conditioner is needed before staining. Funny thing about instructions is they can help you get better results. Imagine that..........

i'll check on that before i buy anything, it shouldn't be too hard to find. thanks for the tip.

Archived