nut and tuners for Allparts neck?

mike-o

• Members

Measure the hole size for the tuners. My guess, 10mm. If it were mine I'd get a tapered reamer & bring it out to 10mm if that isn't what it is. More selection in this size. Take a 6" metal ruler, feeler guage or a close facsimile and stick it in your nut slot. If if rocks you need a curved nut. If not you need a straight one. You can get nuts that have a tab on the bottom that you break off if your nut bottom is curved. Leave it in place for a straignt nut. I prefer to make my own nuts as you usually have to massage a pre-slotted one anyway.

• Members

If you're talking about the nut take an exacto knife and gently score down each side of the nut. Then use a 1/8" pin punch to tap it out the side. Be careful & go slow. You may need to tap on both sides of the nut to break it free. This is why I like to get fat nuts (don't go there) and have a flat bottom surface. Then you can file away until the nut fits snug enough to preclude the use of glue. I strongly recommend against using a drill bit to open up the holes for your tuners. A reamer is the best choice for this. A little at a time working from both sides until the tuner you choose just fits. Use a drill bit, phuck up your headstock. You may be able to go one size drill bit at a time if you're very careful. Go all at once and it will wander, tear out wood and generally make a mess. Shop around and you can find a tapered reamer for around ten bucks. Good investment.

• Members

I ended up using a 10mm drill bit because none of the local hardware stores stocked tapered reamers. I laid the headstock against a wood surface that I wasn't worried about damaging to prevent the headstock from splitting. Worked perfectly

• Members

Flat or curved? Oh right you wanted to know how to get the center tab off a new nut. I understand now. My guess is put it in a vice and file it. But it may have a notch to allow breaking it off. Haven't used one. I went straight to making my own nuts and haven't run into a curved bottom nut slot. If I do I may file it flat.

Archived