Replacing Floating Trem

cdubya42

• Members

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot to ask this question but I figured if anyone would know the DIY'ers would. I have and love very much a Yamaha RGX 612S and it has a Yamaha "Floyd-Rose" (not a FR but close to its design) and one of the locking saddle screws has stripped from the constant changing of strings(2nd string saddle). Instead of just replacing the saddle I'm looking to replace the entire assembly w/ either a wilkinson vs 100 or a floyd. Would this be something I could easily do myself or would it need to enter the shop for the replacement. Do note I don't have nor do I have access to power tools at this time. I've done things as simple as replacing pickups and pots. As well as setting up floating trems, hardtails, and blocking trems. But I've never installed a trem. I was mainly just curious if the trem studs could be put in place of the current ones or would new holes need to be made to fit the new trem. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Rock on,

Chris

• Members

I may be wrong but I think the Wilkinsen is made to allow installation on guitars with different stud spacing. And I doubt if you will have to relocate the studs. I would use the studs provided with the new trem. Not doing so would be like reusing a condom.

Archived