Another big name artist advocates free music

• Members

umm.... some folks here are going a bit off topic, eh? ... now back to our regularly scheduled forum thread...

... the free music question... bottom line is that the new reality - like it or not - is free music... the real question is "how do you make money within this new musical reality?"

... agreed that people will still pay for concerts and merch... and perhaps other "perks" such as first dibs at back stage passes or special signed posters or photos with the band or making a YouTube vid... etc.

... just because its free doesn't mean that you have to give away ALL your music free, right? follow the path of the sugar daddy and give some of your stuff away for free - just enough for them to get hooked and want more... enough that they're willing to pay for it.

... another concept - there are plenty of folks who want to support independent musicians/bands and are willing to buy merch and even CD's (as outdated as those are nowadays) just to keep those bands going... and they will be vocal about that support too...

i think you really have to focus on how you connect with your fan base... and then make as many of THOSE types of connections as possible... rabid fans are the best word of mouth advertising...

one band i look to for inspiration on this is MuteMath... they really built a following via online (MySpace mostly at that time) AND by gigging all over the world as much as they could... they worked really hard at it... they made videos for fans and with fans... they interacted with fans at the shows - before, during & after... then they uploaded those interactions as vids on their website - basically allowing the fans to become the stars! (smart!)

they grew their fanbase by winning them over at live shows (& selling merch + CD's!!), then kept them as loyal fans via the online thing... and they earned repeat business the next time they toured anywhere nearby... people love their live show and they love how the band connects with them...

today they make their best money at the live gigs (as you would expect)... they finally got signed to Warner Bros... but I keep telling them they're better off without the record deal...

they got some notoriety by being on Letterman, Leno and other late night shows... then they got some fame by doing the theme song for Transformers, then for Twilight... they are constantly looking for new ways to bring the spotlight back on them (in a positive way of course!)...

they are my heroes when it comes to making money in the new business paradigm... they haven't "made it big" yet though.. but they ARE living the dream and doing well...

sorry for the long long looooong post...

• Members

they are my heroes when it comes to making money in the new business paradigm... they haven't "made it big" yet though.. but they ARE living the dream and doing well...

If these jagoffs can make $$ with context-driven spam posts, there's still hope someone will figure out a way for the music industry to stop punching itself in the face and actually get back to the business of making money for their artists.

It could happen. "Free music" is the stuff you hear on radio and TV. In a perfect world, that's enough free {censored}. Now go buy a download or CD.:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

there is ambiguity in your point - As soon as any artist starts thinking in whats now considered by many to be "obsolete terms" from corporate label syllabus (ie. record deal, distribution, management, royalties off sales and publishing, blah,....), that artist is setting himself up for disappointment

Ive been in many discussions about "new business models" here on the forum - I dont have any answer to any theories, nor do I propose any solutions...the only think I can add to any of those discussions is that there isnt any 'one' answer....Atrists need to think outside-the-box

Classic? It seems that with rap and nu-R&B dominating charts, and a million unknown bands of all types of genres all jockying for some type of 'net popularity, the days of 'classics' will be few and far between....However, a great song will always be a great song, regardless of when it was written or if considered a 'classic'..........

Great ideas here - thanks for sharing peeps.

• Members

umm.... some folks here are going a bit off topic, eh? ... now back to our regularly scheduled forum thread...

... the free music question... bottom line is that the new reality - like it or not - is free music... the real question is "how do you make money within this new musical reality?"

... agreed that people will still pay for concerts and merch... and perhaps other "perks" such as first dibs at back stage passes or special signed posters or photos with the band or making a YouTube vid... etc.

... just because its free doesn't mean that you have to give away ALL your music free, right? follow the path of the sugar daddy and give some of your stuff away for free - just enough for them to get hooked and want more... enough that they're willing to pay for it.

... another concept - there are plenty of folks who want to support independent musicians/bands and are willing to buy merch and even CD's (as outdated as those are nowadays) just to keep those bands going... and they will be vocal about that support too...

i think you really have to focus on how you connect with your fan base... and then make as many of THOSE types of connections as possible... rabid fans are the best word of mouth advertising...

one band i look to for inspiration on this is MuteMath... they really built a following via online (MySpace mostly at that time) AND by gigging all over the world as much as they could... they worked really hard at it... they made videos for fans and with fans... they interacted with fans at the shows - before, during & after... then they uploaded those interactions as vids on their website - basically allowing the fans to become the stars! (smart!)

they grew their fanbase by winning them over at live shows (& selling merch + CD's!!), then kept them as loyal fans via the online thing... and they earned repeat business the next time they toured anywhere nearby... people love their live show and they love how the band connects with them...

today they make their best money at the live gigs (as you would expect)... they finally got signed to Warner Bros... but I keep telling them they're better off without the record deal...

they got some notoriety by being on Letterman, Leno and other late night shows... then they got some fame by doing the theme song for Transformers, then for Twilight... they are constantly looking for new ways to bring the spotlight back on them (in a positive way of course!)...

sorry for the long long looooong post...

Converting musicians into retailers would be a lousy business paradigm because you can't make it up in volume. Selling just 10,000 CDs (or T-Shirts or whatever) would take 83 hours -- if you had a really efficient retail sales cycle of 30 seconds. And that doesn't factor in the time spent hauling the {censored} around or anything else. This also assumes that every minute at the merch table is involved in selling and not sitting around waiting for something to happen. So...what's that? 100 CD sales at 100 gigs? Congrats: You're 2% of your way to gold status.

Converting music fans back into consumers is the only way to monetize our business. If you don't like that business paradigm, I suggest you switch to classical music where the model is charity, government grants and NPR beg-a-thons.

• Members

It seems that with rap and nu-R&B dominating charts, and a million unknown bands of all types of genres all jockying for some type of 'net popularity, the days of 'classics' will be few and far between....However, a great song will always be a great song, regardless of when it was written or if considered a 'classic'..........

Current Billboard Top Ten CDs: (sales chart)

Andrea Bocelli, Norah Jones, Casting Crowns, 50 Cent, Michael Jackson, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Kris Allen, Them Crooked Vultures, Leona Lewis

That's a pretty diverse group.

It's pretty clear that there is not now, nor has there ever been, one business model for success at all levels.

What works for the successful local/regional alternative rock band is not going to work in a mass market way. If an artist is happy playing to 200 people a night and selling merch, he can eke out a living, I suppose -- just not a very good one.

An artist aspiring to play concert venues in more than a handful of locations will need to reach a wider audience through mass media -- it could be TV, Internet or radio. But it will require a coordinated effort by people with sales and marketing skills, among many other talents.

You're right about a great song: That's the underlining Secret Sauce that makes a hit a hit. However, without a team, that song will never reach a decent-sized audience.

The record industry shot itself in the foot by assuming it was in the business of selling little pieces of plastic (atoms) instead of intellectual property (bits).

Musicians who base the so-called "new paradigm" business model on selling their own hard goods are making the same mistake -- without a fraction of the resources or potential payback.

Archived