Cleaning pots on a Marshall

rlord1974

• Members

Marshall pots are dry so use a lubricating pot cleaner, not a dry degreaser contact cleaner that will increase friction and excel wear. A lubricating pot cleaner will usually have some mineral oil or other silicons so the pot is cleaned and friction wear reduced. It also prevents condensation.

Cleaners are often a temporary fix if the knobs used alot or is poor quality.

If the problem returns quickly, replacement is the only other alternative. They can often work for years though so its a definate fix that should be tried.

• Members

Thanks, but I'm also interesed in the actual method to follow. Do I need to take the amp out of the head case and clean the pot from the inside of the chassis, or can I simply pop the knobs off and give them a spray on the front panel with the cleaner?

• Members

No you cant clean them from the front, you have to open the head. The cleaner usually comes with a tube that attatches to the nozzel thet will let you get in there. Put the head on a towel in case theres some leakage, then spray into the pot cans through the opening where the electrical contacts are. Then work the pot really well and it should fix them up. Marshalls have good pots so its normally just dirt and moisture causing the scratchyness.

Archived