Need advice on a Pickup/Preamp

TimH

• Members

I'm looking into a Morgan Concert Mahogany and currently it has no electronics built into it. I am wondering what kind of pickups/preamps I should consider for this guitar. I don't want to pay someone to cut a massive hole in the side of the guitar so something on the floor (like the Baggs para-DI) is fine.

I'd like to keep it under $400 installed.

• Members

I installed a K&K Mini Pure Western in my Morgan OM, and am thrilled with the natural tone. Because the Morgan has a small bridge plate, like a Larrivee, the "mini" version of the pickup was required. It's a passive pickup, so no holes in the side of your guitar, and no battery.

Cost of the pickup is under $100, either from Shoreline Acoustic Music (www.samusic.com) or directly from K&K (www.kksound.com)

Installation requires reaming out the endpin hole (or adding one, if your guitar doesn't have a hole - Morgans don't come from the factory with an endpin) and gluing the pickup to the bridgeplate with super glue It's not a difficult DIY job, if you are at all "handy".

I don't know what a Luthier or guitar tech would charge, but I'll bet you could buy the pickup and have it installed, all for about $150 or less.

Check-out the reviews of the K&K Pure Western Pickup at:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data3/K_And_K_Sound_Systems/

BTW - I think you have EXCELLENT taste in guitars!:D

• Members

This pup looks great. Thanks!
Yeah, I work at a music store so I get to play alot of guitars and this morgan is simply the best guitar we have. We got it used which means I can get it for $1100 CND which is a sweet deal. WE have the case and hang tags as well.

• Members

wow thanks for that page. I think I liked the I-Beam a bit more than the K&K but they were my favs. I guess I have to see the price difference....but hte iBeam seemed as though it would be fine by itself....does it produce enough level on its own do most think?

• Members

Based on the tests on that page the IBeam does it for me too. I'm ordering mine next month, despite some reviews unfavourable to the IBeam.

Most informed sources seem to think that IBeams that sound bad are wrongly installed.

Depends on your usage, IBeams apparently don't cut it in band situations, but could be what you want for recording and solo performance.

I think LB's favourite setup is a B-Band UST plus an internal mic, but I'm sure he'll speak for himself.

Archived