Belt buckle blues

surfcat

• Members

What do you guys do to prevent your buckle from scratching your prized flattop when standing up. I've been untucking my shirt, but then when in church, you have to put it down and walk off with your shirt untucked in front of everybody. Where can I find a leather buckle or buckleless belt that looks decent (brown)?

• Members
Originally posted by surfcat

What do you guys do to prevent your buckle from scratching your prized flattop when standing up. I've been untucking my shirt, but then when in church, you have to put it down and walk off with your shirt untucked in front of everybody. Where can I find a leather buckle or buckleless belt that looks decent (brown)?

Yeah that 6 inch Texas belt buckle with a rodeo bull and horns on it doesn't help matters ! ;)

They sell clear pickguard material on stewmac.com and some places sell plastic coatings that static stick onto the back or top. I know players that use them.

Prevents those worms on the back you are talking about....

• Members

I've seen a belt advertised specifically designed to eliminate the belt buckle rash. I remember what it looks like, pretty nice, leather, and there's no metal on the outside to scratch your guitar. I'll go find a link and report back.

• Members

Good idea SteveO. It could double as your wipe-down rag too. Some entrepreneur will market that idea selling good old cloth diapers as a Belt Buckle Bumper / Guitar Cloth and sell them for $12.95 each. Hmmmmm....................

• Members

I bought a belt a few year ago that has a leather cover over the buckle. I bought it off of a MAC tool truck although I don't think MAC made it this particullar toolman picked some up somewhere and sold them. Belt buckle scratches on someones new BMW is just as bad as scratches on a guitar. If you can't find anything maybe you could go around to you local garages and car dealerships and ask the mechanics if they know where to get one or call a toolman. Mine is a nice looking leather belt good enough (when it was new) to wear in church. It's black but I bet you could get a brown one also.

• Members

There's a local leathersmith that makes custom leather belt-buckles with the image of your guitar (or anything else) embroidered/stitched into it...looks sharp and doesn't scratch your instrument...I'd bet there's a guy like this most anywhere that there's a saddle shop, boot maker/repairer, etc.

Mine cost $25 a few years ago.

Archived