Quick need decision-making help!

Johnny Shithead

• Members

I have an opportunity to get a steel-string model I've wanted for a long time now for a STEAL of a price, but (here's the catch), it's offered in 2 different versions, both of which I EQUALLY like.

Version "A" has a solid Spruce top, Rosewood back/sides, and a Mahogany neck w/ Ebony FB.

Version "B" has a solid Cedar top, Mahogany back/sides, and Mahogany neck w/ Ebony FB.

Now, I've played both versions and could not make up my mind, so I'm leaving it up to you guys, completely. Please, along with your vote, post why you would pick which model you did.

BTW, I play mainly rock/pop, classical, Celtic, Eastern, and J-pop styles.

• Members

Cedar is a little unique and many like it for fingerstyle due to the attack and sustain characteristics. A real quick attack I think. Some cedar guitars sound fantastic out of the box. I like the warm color of most cedar tops. I don't think it is worth as much from a retail standpoint if that matters. The mahogany sounds wonderful though.

Rosewood nice but reverby and deep dark bass. I'm not much into rosewood guitars. Too pricey and since I love M why should I even consider more expensive retail prices for rose backs. I am especially not a Braz player mainly due to price vs what I get. Very few brazilians even blow me away. The Gibson AJ is about the only rosewood back I ever loved.

Sitka and Mahogany - DANG ! That would be the one for me. Woody punchy thick bright notes up the neck and I like how blues chords sound on M guitars.

All of this is theory. The guitars may not know about these tone rules and sound completely different than expected.

Use this opinion with a grain of salt. I am just a player and always learning. These are my impressions after some years.

• Members

LB, keep on learnin' because we you stop learning, you stop living!

The only axes I can think of right now w/ Mahogany/Spruce are Larrivees, which are pretty cool in my opinion and don't cost TOO much, I know there are others out there with that specific combo of woods, but the Larrivees have an excellent set of specs for a really good price.

If you guys want to know what I was all excited about I'll post it on the regular Acoustic page.

Thanks for all the help! :)

Archived