Cheapest acoustic guitar

BluesGuy00

• Members

I'm thinking about getting a cheap acoustic...I have my electric as my main axe, but I find I want to be able to play acoustic blues and have other acoustic sounds at my disposal. What's the cheapest steel-string acoustic guitar (and I mean CHEAP) that's not a complete POS? All I need is something that works, has no major intonation/neck problems, and keeps tune reasonably well.

• Members

I wouldn't go much below $200. You can find some in the $100 range sometimes on specials at MF and the like, but I'd be wary of those. IMO, spending just a tad more and getting an all laminate Art & Lutherie would be your best bet. They're right around the $200 range, and would be a great option.

Of course, Takamine/Jasmine, Yamaha, Fender/Squire, etc. makes some, but I really like the A&L guitars, even if they cost a little more (but not much)

Dustin

• Members

Originally posted by i_wanna_les_paul

...but I really like the A&L guitars, even if they cost a little more (but not much)

Ditto.

Art & Lutherie are, in my opinion, the best budget acoustic out there. All LaSiDo products are wonderful, IMO. Great company.

The A&L Folk model sounds just like what you're looking for. My local dealer has one for $179 (in the cool antique finish), so they're not going to break your bank.

Great playing, great sounding guitars. I have the solid-topped Seagull S6+Folk, the more upscale version of the A&L Folk. I played the A&L version and almost bought it, even though I already had the more expensive version. It sounded THAT good.

• Members

A&L aren't bad for the money, but if you're willing to spend more (say $250-$300), then I'd suggest the solid-top Ibanez AW-100. I've consistently been impressed by these guitars. The solid top is a big improvement over the laminates, and the decent tuners (grovers!) are very welcome. They play fairly well, and the basic tone is good. On the whole, I'd call it a good value.

And of course, you can always look into used. A decent guitar is built to last anyway.

Astor

• Members

Fender DG-7 about $125.00. Not bad for the price. Made in Indonesia, but totally playable with a setup. Anything much cheaper will be plastic with a wind up knob on the side. There are others... Cort, Hohner, Johnson, Galveston, Yahama's fron Sam's Club, etc.

• Members

The Lasido company really does make high quality, low priced guitars. Seagulls, Normans, A&L, etc. I have a Norman B20, solid spruce top, cherry wood (3ply lam) back and sides. Nice sound. It's very similar to the Seagull S6 but with a different headstock. I just got a Martin and I'm selling my B20 on ebay for 190. Have look.

(not sure if this against the "rules" of the forum. If it is, I apologize)

• Members

I have an nice Cedar A&L I bought new for $150 (bought it in Canada). They are pretty sweet guitars for the money, but I soon ended up shelling out more money to have the action lowered by a tech (factory action was rediculously high) and I'm thinking I should invest in a compensated bridge/saddle because the intonation sounds a little funky when chorded past the 12th fret....I'll probably pay him to install that properly too.

• Members

I just picked up a new Regal RD12 w/a cheap chipboard case for $235 (w/sales tax).

It's a typical dreadnaught w/cutaway & piezo saddle transducer & preamp. It needs a *slight* neck adjustment (gets just a little buzzy when I really bear down on it - Didn't notice it till I was playing through headphones ) , but I haven't even changed out the factory strings yet and it sounds and plays great for the price.

I don't know about the Cort acoustics, but I have 2 Cort electrics and am very happy with both so I wouldn't be afraid to look at them.

• Members

now i play acoustic.....and i think that when u play, you may find htat u might enjoy it more than playing electric at times. That is why i suggest buy a nice, solid top acoustic. Yamaha puts out a nice solid top at an affordable price. The model is the FG-413s. it sells for about 325 canadian. There is also the FG-413 which comes with a non glossy finish. If you go with a cheap laminate top it may not sound good in the long run......

good luck with that

Archived