This is the last straw!!!!

EvilHippy

• Members

I am not putting up with not being able to record on this crappy '98 Hewlett Packard 366 Mhz slow virus infested piece of trash anymore.If you were able to be transmitted inside of the world my computer you would find 9,300 open ports,viruses,worms,trojans,etc. etc. and I am not putting up with this computer.I know this is the acoustic forum....so what does this have to do with acoustic guitars? I cannot record on this thing and I need to get a new computer and recording equipment so I can post some stuff on my excuse of a website.I know LB has told me M-Audio is the best he has used.I am going full out.I am not buying anymore guitars from now on until I can get the proper recording equipment.I need a new comuter....preferably a desktop, or,if there are laptops with a real mouse and not those touch pad or scroll ball things that would be the only type of laptop I want.I want a soundcard,I already have an endpin jack and an undersaddle pickup, but the pickup doesn't work....so, no clue as to what I do there.I really don't want to have a piezo or an undersaddle unless somebody else installs it.I need help finding someone who can in eastern VA.I would like to just get an ultrasound amp or a PA and use a soundhole pickup, so I need a soundhole pickup, I need a new humidifier (old one crapped out on me), I need a new hydrometer,I need the whole nine yards, so I need a lot of help.I am thinking about the Shure SM-58 and SM-57 condenser as far as mics.I cannot even listen to any songs on Radio @ AOL or listen to songs or video from people because my computer shorts out and makes an explosion type noise and sparks.Help... :confused::( ~EH

• Members

366mhz?? I'm impressed you can even post! ;)

Luckily a decent computer isn't that expensive. As for the add-ins, I have an M-Audio Audiophile card in mine that I picked up for just over $100, coupled with a $50 Oktava MK012 condenser mic and a $50 Behringer UB802 mixer and it actually sounds pretty darn good. Here's a clip made with that setup and no EQing or volume adjustments or anything (recorded in my living room):

http://www.kinnairdguitars.com/mp3s/37_2.mp3

The next least expensive mic that's widely recommended for guitars is the Marshall MXL603S. The Shures generally aren't considered great acoustic guitar mics, though they're certainly an all-around workhorse.

• Members

Dude, go buy a new Imac with OSX and then an MAudio and editor program. You will then not only have a nice audio machine for home use but an EXCELLENT video editor and DVD creating ability all in one smooth package. You can consider skipping the PC mess all together.

Dont get me wrong. You can build a good PC but I dont recommend the Best Buy, Compaq, Dell, HP slapped together value systems. The motherboards and chipsets in all those are just Taiwan garbage. Nonexpandable 50.00 all in one motherboards.

I would either go with a good home built PC with an Asus motherboard and choice hardware and XP Pro or I would simply skip the PC nightmare all the way and graduate to something like this.

IMAC
http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/families/imac/

WHO'S YOUR DADDY ? Come to papa !
http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/families/powermacg5/

No more Outlook and Eudora bugs and Viruses. No more Windows Service packs that break everything. No more 1/2 way debugged Windows software and OS. No more weekly MS security bugs and worms. Better hardware.

• Members

I just had this problem with my computer. And I have one word for you....DELL.... $450 for a 2.2 ghz 30 gig HD and 128 ram
Then I bought a $9.99 monitor and paid 100 for 500mgz of ram.
Then I recorded my new CD on it with an M-audio Duo for $ 200.
One of the best buys was a Superlux cm-h8a diapham mike for $100.
I'm curious though.....why do you want a cromatic harp. Have you ever tried to bend the reeds on one????

• Members
Originally posted by LittleBrother

Dude, go buy a new Imac with OSX and then an MAudio and editor program. You will then not only have a nice audio machine for home use but an EXCELLENT video editor and DVD creating ability all in one smooth package. You can consider skipping the PC mess all together.

Dont get me wrong. You can build a good PC but I dont recommend the Best Buy, Compaq, Dell, HP slapped together value systems. The motherboards and chipsets in all those are just Taiwan garbage. Nonexpandable 50.00 all in one motherboards.

I would either go with a good home built PC with an Asus motherboard and choice hardware and XP Pro or I would simply skip the PC nightmare all the way and graduate to something like this.

IMAC

http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/families/imac/

WHO'S YOUR DADDY ? Come to papa !

http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/families/powermacg5/

No more Outlook and Eudora bugs and Viruses. No more Windows Service packs that break everything. No more 1/2 way debugged Windows software and OS. No more weekly MS security bugs and worms. Better hardware.

Now there you go again with all them high falootin puter words LB. I'll be durned if I know what you're talking about, but I'm just happy to be able to say I'm a friend of someone who does!!!!;):D

• Members
Originally posted by Blackwatch

I just had this problem with my computer. And I have one word for you....DELL.... $450 for a 2.2 ghz 30 gig HD and 128 ram

Then I bought a $9.99 monitor and paid 100 for 500mgz of ram.

Then I recorded my new CD on it with an M-audio Duo for $ 200.

One of the best buys was a Superlux cm-h8a diapham mike for $100.

I'm curious though.....why do you want a cromatic harp. Have you ever tried to bend the reeds on one????

I've got a few marine bands some lee oskars,suzukis,I have a few very old diatonics from the 40's that I found on eBay...I have a lot of harps but I mainly use my Hohner Blues Harps...never owned a chromatic but i'm interested in trying getting one just out of curiousity.I know John Popper uses Hohner Chromatic 64's....but he's a virtuoso and it's as if he's naturally good at it because he eats,sleeps,and breathes harmonicas.Neil Young uses Lee Oskars.I have heard bad things about macintosh but I have experianced bad things with Windows....for one thing, majority of internet users use windows and that's what most e-mail transmitted viruses are made for, so if I do get a mac, I may have less viruses.And I have MacAffee on my HP....I don't know why I use it because I know I have viruses on this POS and I can't get rid of them.It's not even worth paying the $3.95 a month for MacAfee virus scan for this thing.

• Members

Well... it all depends. I have never gotten a virus on my home computer. But I don't use Outlook for e-mail and I have a proper firewall set up. Windows XP is actually quite a stable system. And I do video editing, DVD creation, web site creation, audio editing, etc. I used to have a Dell, which though it only cost me about $450 was not an "all-in-one" motherboard. It worked well, but not enough for me so I did go back to a home-built system that I am running currently.

But for some people Macs are just easier to use and more intuitive. I've got nothing against them, having used them for years at different jobs I've had. I don't find them any easier to use for me and I'm not willing to pay the extra cash for them, but they're certainly good systems.

By the way LB, I agree about Asus motherboards (it's what I'm running now), but they're made in Taiwan too. :) I wouldn't doubt the motherboards for Apple are too for that matter. Other than perhaps Korea, I'm not aware of them being made anywhere else...

• Members
Originally posted by EvilHippy

huh?

:D Sorry so cryptic. I always say that to everyone I know when things go wrong and we get stressed out. My way of saying life can throw what it wants at me, but I won't let the bastards get me down. In my case, a mind is a terrible thing......

• Members
Originally posted by orsino

:D
Sorry so cryptic. I always say that to everyone I know when things go wrong and we get stressed out. My way of saying life can throw what it wants at me, but I won't let the bastards get me down. In my case, a mind is a terrible thing......

That's what I thought you were gettin' at....you've said it before but for some reason my mind just went blank this time.:D Oh, and by the way, I don't useEudora or Outlook because I deleted all the crap I don't use on my computer a long time ago.It is stripped down.I have AOL (yes, AOL sucks and I know how to get it for free),so I don't use Eudora or Outlook.I have Windows 98.For some reasons the AOL keeps cutting off when I click the "X" in the windows.I heard this was because of a virus.I am not using Windows ever again.Got this as a gift a while back from my mom, I didn't want to say anything to her but she paid $2000.00 at worst *ahem* best buy for it.I would've rather gotten a new computer from Dell for $500 and spent $1500 on a new guitar.:(

• Members
Originally posted by JasonA

Well... it all depends. I have never gotten a virus on my home computer. But I don't use Outlook for e-mail and I have a proper firewall set up. Windows XP is actually quite a stable system. And I do video editing, DVD creation, web site creation, audio editing, etc. I used to have a Dell, which though it only cost me about $450 was not an "all-in-one" motherboard. It worked well, but not enough for me so I did go back to a home-built system that I am running currently.

But for some people Macs are just easier to use and more intuitive. I've got nothing against them, having used them for years at different jobs I've had. I don't find them any easier to use for me and I'm not willing to pay the extra cash for them, but they're certainly good systems.

By the way LB, I agree about Asus motherboards (it's what I'm running now), but they're made in Taiwan too.
:)
I wouldn't doubt the motherboards for Apple are too for that matter. Other than perhaps Korea, I'm not aware of them being made anywhere else...

Yeah I know. But the super cheap ones also come from there. My home built PCs are always rock solid but I dont recommend PCs for people that are non technical unless they just get lucky or a really good one. I also always buy excellent video cards and good ram. Boy are we off topic ;)

• Members

JasonA: Nice recording indeed. I am also interested in the Audiophile 24/96 card.

I have to agree the Dell systems with the heavy discount/coupons stuff is the best value you could get out there if you don't want to mess with building one yourself.
The better system has very nice Intel chipsets and fast CPU. You just need to make sure it has enough empty PCI slots left for your add on cards. You need at least 2 PCI slots for your sound card and I/O cards(1394,etc.).
Dell case is also super quiet.
I myself opt for a home build system since I overclock CPU/Video card for fun:D

• Members

I agree that a Mac could be the way to go for a digital audio workstation for a non-techie. It is possible to build a good PC too, and can be a lot of fun as well as a learning experience with a curve that isn't quite as steep as you may think.

One of the considerations for a DAW is noise; you don't want whirring fans and noisy hard disk drives affecting your acoustic recordings. It is possible to buy PCs built for the home recording enthusiast

• Members

If you use computer based recording equipment, the trick is to not be connected to the internet. You want an imbedded hard drive that never talks to anyone else to ensure you stay virus free.
Your other option of course is to go with the old style rack mounted recorder with a seperate console and outboard effects and mastering machines (like me!). I don't have to worry about crashing my investment or the project.

• Members

How simple is it to build one nowadays? do you just get a box with a motherboard pre-installed and just put in all the stuff like CPU, RAM, Hard drive and a few PCI cards? If you get a good motherboard is it actually more likely that you'd be able to update later? Dells and whatnot seem ridiculously cheap though when you remember how much you paid for your current POS.

It sucks how computers just get slow eventually. I could yank out all the programs and defragment and it would still be a slow POS, it was lightning when I formatted it last. It sucks to not have a Windows CD :(. XP is nice and stable when you format to the NT file system. The people in the recording forum really know this kind of stuff better than anyone, but any simple question will probably fall like a rock.

I could easily spend lots of money on recording equipment or anything else for that matter; there are so many little things I want to buy, but I'm saving up for a guitar I'm not worthy of first. I mean I play pretty much for my own enjoyment, plus I mysteriously suck when the button with a circle on it turns red. but the old (err young) tech-geek wants back into my life.

for now though I'll put pillows around my noisy computer and use my sm-57 with my 6' unbalanced cable into my crappy soundcard. Once I hear myself played back, I realize that everything I thought was cool sucks, and everything that seemed boring is awesome; that seems like enough of an excuse to record stuff in itself.

• Members
Originally posted by EvilHippy

...if I do get a mac, I may have less viruses.

That's a dead certainty. I've used Macs for many years and have never bothered to buy an anti-virus program. And I don't use Microsoft Office, which is the main vector for worms on the Mac.

The Washington Post is running a PC product review (link will be good for two weeks, max). The iMac review points out that it's virtually noiseless, and mentions that the eMac would be a cheaper alternative. I believe that's a pretty quiet machine as well.

Do you have an Apple Store within driving distance of your home in East BF Virginia? ;) You should go check out both computers before resigning yourself to more years of Windows Hell.

• Members
Originally posted by Motown

You could also keep your pc and kick the windows habit- go linux. It's free, it's stable and it's *much* more efficient than windoze.

If I could ever get it to install... oh and, there aren't any stores that have Apple computers around here.The first computer I ever used was an Apple....I guess Bill Gates has really knocked their business out.

• Members

also, installing was a breeze- I downloaded the iso file at work and burned it to cd. Then all you have to do is set your bios to boot from cd, and the mandrake install program did the rest. Pretty easy. I just installed linux this week, so i'm by no means an expert... I'm still trying to figure out how to install programs not from the mandrake distribution (not that you need many- it comes with just about everything), but if you have questions, go to the windows discussion forum or to linuxquestions.org

Archived