Does anyone play sitar?

EvilHippy

• Members

I had one for a year. They aren't as hard to play as people think. They have a lot of drone strings and only 2 or 3 strings are actually fretted. It's the MUSIC that's hard. Lots of weird bends and pull-offs requiring bizarre technique and odd scales to play that music. Like most westerners who pick up the instrument, I was only planning on using the tone of the thing and playing western music on it. Learning Eastern music is a lifetime persuit that to me wouldn't be rewarding It's really a novelty in that it's an instrument designed to play Eastern music...It's kind of interesting when George used it on "Norwegian Wood" but just really a novelty. After a year I sold it on Ebay for the same price I bought it for. FedEx demolished it on shipment and reimbursed the buyer. End of Sitar story.....

• Members

I bought a sitar in hopes that I would be able to use the amazing tonal qualities of the instrument to make my own weird music. Unfortunately, the sitar I recieved was terrible in action, construction, and intonation and was thus impossible to play. Strings broke when you tried to tune them, and now I have a sitar in the basement with I think one out of its twenty strings still on it. Currently I'm in the process of constructing from parts an electric sitar, because I'm still interested in that tonality.

Also, Anoushka is awesome.

• Members

I think I will stick with a Danelectro SItar Swami pedal.A teacher I had once had a Sitar that I used to play all the time.I can't remember some of the stuff he showed me.Anywho, i'm buying a baby taylor from a Taylor Guitar Forum member.

• Members

I demoed the Sitar Swami and thought it was far from a sitar sound. There is an Indian instrument called a sarod or sarot. It's a smaller sitar and is distinguished by its chrome neck fretboard. It's a million times easier to play than a sitar and sounds great. Check these out. I've seen them on ebay. I picked one up and immediately ripped on it. Well ...sort of.

• Members

Originally posted by EvilHippy

Does anyone play sitar?

Yes, but I cheat. I have a (don't laugh) Rogue electric sitar that MF currently sells for $199. It's six-string and tuned like a guitar. I've always been into the Eastern-sounding phrases anyway(1-m2-M3-4-5-m6 etc etc), so I just play them like I would on a guitar and I get the sitar tone. It's much more productive for me than attempting to tackle the learning curve of Eastern music. So, I kind of play the sitar. I know, I suck. I'm also looking into 6-string banjos currently. :cool:

• Members

I had a Double Gord Sitar that I picked up in Philidelphia a while back.

You better be made out of rubber or a Yogi. The position to play one of those, does a number on your hip sockets.

I just used mine to shmooz chicks when they came to my room.

It fell off of its' display and both gords smashed.

I was not that upset. (the crotch rippin' bitch)

paraphonic

Archived