Backpacker ?'s

cstime

• Members

So I started to post this thread:

I'm in the market for a backpacking/camping guitar, and I'm wondering if there's any head-to-head competition with the Martin Backpacker? I know there are better small guitars, but is there anything else that's as small as a Backpacker in the same price class?

And then it occured to me that this has likely been hashed over at least once here on this forum. A quick search for the word "Backpacker" brought up a dozen or so threads, and it seems like the consensus is that there isn't [anything else as small as a Backpacker in the same price class]. Is that an accurate assesment?

I completely agree that the Big Baby and Larrivee Parlor are nicer guitars, but they're more expensive and significantly bigger. I've never played a Papoose - is it about the same size as a Backpacker?

I'm looking for a backpacking guitar, and the Backpacker seems perfect for that - even down to the fact that it has sub-average tone and is awkward to play. A little bit of discomfort and accomodation is all part of the backcountry experience, after all.

Anyway - sorry to be starting another thread on this subject, but if anyone has any advice/input/thoughts/feelings/musings/suggestions/instructions on the topic, I'd love to have 'em.

• Members

I spent some good quality time once with a Tacoma Papoose and I have to say that it is an infinitely better instrument than the Martin Backpacker. In fact, it sounds so good that I was even considering getting one for a "regular guitar" .... it has a unique sound to it ... almost like a capo'ed guitar. Heck, if you slap on a capo it gets this weird mandolin-like sound to it.

My only concern about using the Papoose as a "camping beater" is the fact that it will bruise and scratch easily. The guitar if I'm not mistaken is constructed of mahogany and and cedar top, much like the stock Chief model ( only much smaller ). The Chief has the most fragile top I've ever run across in a guitar ... it's soft to the point where any little bump is likely to leave a ding ...

Martin makes a really good guitar for travel/camping called the LXM( ??? ). It's made of HPL ( high pressured laminate ) .... it's in regular tuning and it projects really well. You'll probably find one new with a street price of $275 or so ... comes with a gig bag too. It's a far superior instrument than the Backpacker.

• Members

There aren't many topics about the backpacker on here because both every guitarist in the world and Chris Martin IV know that the backpacker isn't a very good camping guitar.Why do you think Martin Started the "Little Martin LXM".The backpacker couldn't compete with anything and Taylor was getting their travel guitar business.Now, you say the Big Baby Taylors are too big? The are 15/16 which is not far from a regular dreadnought.How about the 3/4 size baby Taylor.They come in many different combinations of wood.Let me roll over to my amp real quick and look em' up in the Taylor Catalog (my amp doubles as my magazine rack and brochure rack for guitars and amps ;) ) Ok, you have the Baby Rosewood, Baby Mahogany,and Baby Bubinga (all 3/4 size) then you have the Big Baby (15/16) with sapele (isn't sapele african mahogany....anywho).Is it just me or are Baby Taylor prices really sky rocketing.Go to eBay and search "Taylor" in guitar then click ending first, BABY TAYLORS (3/4) ARE PUSHING $300 NOW!!! The big babies were going for about $280 about 6 months ago. I think Taylors are very pricey for what they are (although every folk guitarist should have a Taylor in his bag O' tricks), I think I can get you a Martin LXM (Martin's version of the 3/4 Baby Taylor) for $249.00 but maybe less. I'm a member of the UMGF (Unnoficial Martin Guitar Forum).There is a member on there whose name is Maury (can't remember his last name) who owns a guitar shop.If you are a member of the UMGF he will give you discounts on all the stuff if you provide a screen name.I can't remember the link for the UMGF...I had it saved to my favorites but it was deleted from AOL when I got this new computer yesterday.~EH

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

My review of a Martin Backpacker... IMO get one of the other options like a Hohner/Crafters or a Go Guitar.

I can only speak from my experience with the Backpacker. It's a great concept. Although the sound is not great, that is not my main objection. The problem with this instrument is that it is very difficult - and for most things simply impossible - to play owing to the shape of the guitar. Maybe a better man than me can figure it out.

• Members

If you get a Backpacker, get one of the gadgets that let you toe your strap to the headstock, it will balance a lot better.

While a Baby Taylor or whatever is much better sounding (I own both) the one big advantage of a Backpacker is size (plus I didm't own a nylon string guitar, so I got that version).

• Members

If you plan on getting a guitar for backpacking, as in strapping all your essentials to your back and humping hills, then the backpacker will due you fine. A baby taylor or martin lxm are simply too big to take on a serious backpacking trip. If you don't plan on humping hills with your travel guitar, than don't waste your money on a backpacker. for general camping and kicking around a baby taylor or lxm are much nicer guitars for the money.

• Members

since my previous reply pretty much failed to answer the original question, heres more on the backpacker. The tone is pretty weak, as you would expect, but i think the playing difficulties have been overexaggerated. You can play just fine with the strap on either sitting or standing, and you can hold it other ways without the strap if you experiment around a bit. I agree cstime's idea that these things are just part of backpacking. Also, this guitar is tough as nails, I've thrown it, fallen on it, totally soaked the gig bag, and exposed it to widely varying temperatures, and it's still sounds like it did when new. I'm thinking about actually trying to paddle with it in the bwca next spring (what fun is life without experimentation?) As to other backpacking guitars, i've seen them online but not in stores, and since im wary of buying anything i can't touch the backpacker was the only choice i had. And to reiterate my previous post; if you plan on doing much with this guitar besides serious backpacking, your going to be much happier with an lxm. Hope this helps.

• Members

Why not just sacrifice all the camping gear,bring a spleeping bag and a camping pillow, some matches,water and a 12 guage and bring a D-45....or better yet, buy one of those $300,000 Custom Prevost Tour Bus/RV things, get them to build it with 4 wheel drive and an 8 inch lift, and slap on a set of super swampers.Then you can bring all your guitars and watch DirecTV while cooking New Zealand Mussels,Lobster sauteed in butter, caviar and a few bottles of Dom Parignom Champagne and you can get a laptop with a wireless modem and post on here while you're at it. :D ~EH

• Members

http://www.wechterguitars.com/models/model-1601.htm

I bought one of these on ebay for $120.00 and it's OK. It has a pickup and a decent gigbag. Of course it sounds a little tinny, but it is put together well and is really portable. I bought it so both my kids would have something to play (I also bought a Martin LXME). The Martin is better, but the Wechter is fine for what it's designed for.

• Members

Originally posted by EvilHippy

Why not just sacrifice all the camping gear,bring a spleeping bag and a camping pillow, some matches,water and a 12 guage and bring a D-45....or better yet, buy one of those $300,000 Custom Prevost Tour Bus/RV things, get them to build it with 4 wheel drive and an 8 inch lift, and slap on a set of super swampers.Then you can bring all your guitars and watch DirecTV while cooking New Zealand Mussels,Lobster sauteed in butter, caviar and a few bottles of Dom Parignom Champagne and you can get a laptop with a wireless modem and post on here while you're at it.
:D
~EH

Hmmm.... now there's an idea! The weird thing is that' show a lot of people actually "camp"; I find RV parks amusing (apologies t o anyone who loves them - I'm not trying to be offensive).

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and tips! I've got some more research to do, it looks like. Oh, poor me - I have to go try different kinds of guitars... :(

:D :D :D :Dy

Archived