Tell me more about the construction of a GUILD 12-string

skunky_funk

• Members

Is the Guild F412 your typical jumbo 12-string, or is it a lot more special than most 12-string jumbos? It is intriguing that it has an arched back and a double trussrod system. How is the neck constructed? I see that there is a pinstripe in the middle of the neck (as seen from the rear). Is that purfling or some other wood?

Isn't it disadvantageous to have an arched back for an acoustic guitar? How thick is the maple back of a Guild F412? 1/2", 3/4"? Also, the 4.8" depth makes me think it is LOUD.

I wanna know more about the F412's construction in comparison to Martin Dreadnoughts.

• Members

I would not say that a Guild 412 is a "typical" 12 string guitar. Most of the time a 12 string is derived from a company's dreadnaught, but the 412 evolved from Guild's Jumbo 6 strings, probably the Jumbo 45. The bracing pattern is different from a Martin Dread. These guitars are very heavily braced, and hence are rather stable. Nothing wrong with Martin 12's at all, they can also be great instruments, and are well built.

The double truss rod is just two side by side bars which can be independently adjusted to keep the neck from twisting. The strip on the back of the neck is not that uncommon, other guitars also have it. It is just an inlay. The fingerboard is also bound.

As for archtops, there are also violins and archtop guitars, so this is not all that unusual. Guild uses arched backs quite a bit in their lineup. Yes, it is a loud guitar, especially with so many strings. Once you get to play one you will appreciate the sound and the quality of construction. For whatever reason, the older ones from the 60's and early 70's are held in particularly high esteem. I've played a new Fender built Corona 412 and it was also beautiful.

Archived