what acoustic guitar for 7 year old child?

Ensign

• Members

Hello,

I'm trying to find an acoustic guitar for my 7 year old nephew. Any suggestions? Looking for something that's cheap (under $100), but still decent enough to start playing on. Any thoughts on this Dean at Musicians Friend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031202102022065120073190844173/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/519898/

Seems too good to pass up at $25.

Thanks!

---

Brandon

• Members

Hmmm....I don't know about that Dean.I've heard stories about Dean's bridges lifting up and coming unglued.Most 1/2 or 3/4 sized guitars are pieces of junk anyways.Except for the higher priced models such as the 3/4 Baby Taylors,Go Guitars,and the Martin LXM "Little Martin".

• Members

Features: 5.72

Quality: 5.62

Value: 6.36

Overall: 5.62

(Based on 39 ratings)

I don't trust it with these ratings.Sure, it's only $25.00 plus I think they don't give free shipping on it.Might as well buy something a bit better and not waste any money.Think of it this way...if your nephew decides he doesn't like guitar and decides he doesn't want to learn to play, it will always hold a good re-sell value.

• Members

Thanks for the advice on the Dean. What else is there though? I just can't justify spending $100 or more for something that will likely get somewhat beat up. Has anyone come across anything that would work okay?

Thanks again!

---

Brandon

• Members

http://www.playguitarmagazine.com/PG2content/KidsGtrs.html

Not only should a children's guitar should be the correct size, but it is imperative that it also have the proper intonation and setup. The above is a review which should be very helpful to guide you in your search. There are a lot of really bad kid's guitars out there so be careful!!!! If your nephew continues they can always move up to a Big Baby Taylor (a 7/8 size guitar) or Larrivee Parlor later on. Much too much money to spend as a first guitar for a 7 year old who may not continue past a year.

• Members

Originally posted by EvilHippy

Hmmm....I don't know about that Dean.I've heard stories about Dean's bridges lifting up and coming unglued.Most 1/2 or 3/4 sized guitars are pieces of junk anyways.Except for the higher priced models such as the 3/4 Baby Taylors,Go Guitars,and the Martin LXM "Little Martin".

I dont think the bridge would actually pull up on a smaller scale guitar, the string tension is pretty tiny. I don't know much about about small guitars but I know some of them are really awefull.

• Members

The Seagull Grand is a really neat guitar, but it IS a full scale guitar and would probably bring reach and fretting problems.

However, LaSiDo also makes a nylon string version under the Art & Lutherie name called the Ami. I think La Patrie also has the same guitar with a solid top. They're a bit smaller than the Grand.

The Tacoma Papoose is a very cool small guitar.

Archived