Anybody played the little Alvarez?

Matt McGriff

• Members

Looks sweet-nicer looking than the Taylor but a side by side comparison is in order. Don't forget the Rosewood backed and Koa Baby Taylors. It seems like everyone's getting into the small guitar game. The Alvarez may be the best looking-and all solid wood. I've got the original mahogony backed Taylor but I loved the rosewood one I played. Try 'em all!

• Members

I actually have owned 2 of the Taylor Baby M's in the past. I love Taylorsand really wanted to love the Baby. I think they are real cool But I was disappointed in them twice. The tone was fine, but the intonation was awful. The worst it got was when I took a trip from Florida to San Diego. The change in climate made it play awful. I wasn't impressed, and I really wanted to be, twice. The other b/s woods on the baby are just thin veneers over sapele, and have no effect on the tone. They do look cool. I am waiting for a Big Baby with a koa b/s. cool.

Really looking forward to the Alvarez. I've ordered some mini roto gold grovers and ebony buttons to slap on it, and will replace the saddle with bone and the bridge pins with wood ones of some sort. I might even hand polish the finish to a high gloss. Kind of a project guitar. Can't wait.

• Members

You know what I want? a Big Baby with quilted/flamed maple B+S and I favor the Koa as well as a walnut big baby.I had no idea Alverez made an all solid mini guitar.I found turn of the century parlor guitar with brazillian rosewood back and sides for $200!!!

Archived