Guitar recommendation

::T::C::L::

• Members

Taks typically have quite narrow necks (around 1.62" nut width). Carvin Cobalts are at 1.71" and Taylors are at 1.75". Taks are pretty darned good workhorses. Cobalts are probably the best playing, most consistant guitars for the money I have ever found... Taylor-like feel and build quality. A bit rounder and fuller in tone than the typical Taylor at twice the money. Taylors are great guitars, but in my humble opinion, not worth the difference in cost to a Cobalt particularly with respect to a beginner. Go to www.carvin.com/cobalt to see their wares. You can hear mine at www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com/boggspage9.html on tracks 1,3,4,& 5. Boggs

• Members

Originally posted by woody b

I think the best guitar in that price range is a Seagull if you like a wide neck.

I agree. In the $500 and under price range, I haven't found anything that can really touch Seagull. I got my S6+Folk for $350 with a hardshell case. A Martin with similar specs (the 000M for instance -- solid top, laminated back and sides, hardshell case) goes for around $650...give or take. That's almost twice the price for a guitar that isn't nearly twice as good (though still a good guitar in its own right).

However, if you REALLY look around you might be able to find a satin-finished Tacoma for that much.

Garrison guitars are very interesting beasts -- all solid wood construction with a fiberglass bracing scheme. They can be had for under $500...hell, I think even a nice G-25 can be found for that much. I haven't had a chance to try them out, but I really want to. When they introduce some auditorium body styles, I'm there.

• Members
Originally posted by ::T::C::L::

Hey guys, my friend wants to buy a guitar around the $500 range. I was thinking of a Takamine. What do you guys recommend? Any specific brands and models come to mind? She's also just starting to learn guitar so if that makes a difference...

Thanks.

I just came to this forum to ask what guitar sounds as good as the Takamine G series for less than $550? But I hate wide necks and a guitar without a cutout for the high frets is not a guitar I would want. :)

The Takamine G series is the one I like so far, but I really have no experience other than trying out all the guitars at Guitar Center and American Music and thinking it sounded the best.
It was a while ago that I tried a Garrison, but I seem to remember that the Garrison didn't sound as good as the tak.

Of course there are numerous other brands not carried by those two stores that I haven't tried.

• Members

Check out this Takamine I just won today on Ebay. I've got another one just like it, but black. (also bought on ebay) The model number is listed wrong, it's actually an EF261SAN. Great guitar. Plays great, solid cedar top, decent acoustic sound, great plugged-in sound. And it's made in Japan, not a G-series. Great deal for $360 bucks. (that's just about exactly what I paid for the black one) These pop up on ebay fairly regularly, so they're not hard to find.

• Members

Cort is also a great buy! I went shopping for a guitar and came home with a Taylor 814. However, the Cort NTL CE custom was the one that come closest to that sound. They offer all solid wood guitars for around that price range.
For example:
The Cort Parkwood acoustic, which has (one of) the greatest value for money around $550,-.
Cort Parkwood Specs:
SOLID SPRUCE TOP
SOLID MAHOGANY BACK AND SIDES - NOT LAMINATE!
MAHOGANY NECK
REAL ABALONE SOUND HOLE ROSSETTE
SCOOP BRIDGE
FINISH IS NATURAL
Check out this ebay link for pictures: e-bay

Let me know what you think!

Archived