Anyone ever stringa 12 up with all highs, nashville style?

TheGZeus,OnFire

• Members

I've done it on 12 strings and it's really easy...just remove the low string from each pair (you can keep both strings on for the B and E if you want.) What you end up with is the low E, A, D, and G tuned up an octave and the B and high E tuned regular. It can really add a lot to a song.

• Members

Originally posted by SpoonyJank

but you can just buy a 12-string set and do without the extra wide neck. and 12-strings are usually built pretty heavy for just the small strings to be used

Sure...it works really good that way too. Actually I kind of like the wide neck because fingerpicking on Nashville tuning sounds really cool.

• Members

I've got a cheap generic Guild jumbo knock-off (think it might be a HondoII or similar) that I string like that, for some rhythm tracks on my CDs...mixed low and double-tracked hard left/right, it sounds pretty sweet...kinda "shimmery"

I use (from "low E" to "high E"): 10/10, 17/17, 13/13, 009/020, 15/15, 10/10, all unwound (this way, I only change strings every few years...literally!)...BTW, if you use these guages, you may need to ticker a little with your intonation if you got high up the neck, but for primarily "open chords" it should be fine.

Great use for a cheapie 12-string...

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

I've got a cheap generic Guild jumbo knock-off (think it might be a HondoII or similar) that I string like that, for some rhythm tracks on my CDs...mixed low and double-tracked hard left/right, it sounds pretty sweet...kinda "shimmery"

I use (from "low E" to "high E"): 10/10, 17/17, 13/13, 009/020, 15/15, 10/10, all unwound (this way, I only change strings every few years...literally!)...BTW, if you use these guages, you may need to ticker a little with your intonation if you got high up the neck, but for primarily "open chords" it should be fine.

Great use for a cheapie 12-string...

Different tuning than I was talking aobut, but yeah.

Cool.

Archived