Question For Little Brother - L-05MT

Luv2Play

• Members

Little Brother,

I was reading some of your reviews and comments about the Larrivee L-05MT...seemed like you thought it was something REALLY special. I am looking at one of these and was just wondering why you sold your's after speaking so highly about it at first. Did the guitar lose favor with you, or do you still remember it as a very unique beast. It sounded/looked beautiful to my ears/eyes and I really think this may be the sound I'm looking for. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Greg

• Members

Originally posted by Luv2Play

Little Brother,

I was reading some of your reviews and comments about the Larrivee L-05MT...seemed like you thought it was something REALLY special. I am looking at one of these and was just wondering why you sold your's after speaking so highly about it at first. Did the guitar lose favor with you, or do you still remember it as a very unique beast. It sounded/looked beautiful to my ears/eyes and I really think this may be the sound I'm looking for. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Greg

Greg,

I am actually Looking into the same Guitar. Little bro is no longer moderating this site. HOwever, I'm sure he will drop into answer your question. Last time i spoke to him though, He did buy a very expencive Santa Cruz. I might be wrong, but i think that might have played a roll in selling the Larrivee. Again, I'm sure he will drop in with reply.

Let me ask you, Did you find a place to buy that guitar? if so, what are they chargin you? is it with pick up or with out?

• Members

Hi Buds,

Yes I sold my Larrivee to a very special friend in LittleRock that attended the Jam. I still think it's one of the best guitars and absolute incredible values I ever bought. Dave from www.guitaradoptions.com got that one for me special from the National sales guy for Larrivee. It came directly from Larrivee. He inspected it and forwarded it to me. Unplayed and mint new. It was an utter sweetheart and you can hear what it sounded like in my DVD lessons, web lessons and reviews.

I just had too many guitars and that one was still in MINT condition so I sold it. I can always buy another one so it doesn't bother me a bit. I buy and sell alot of fine guitars because that is the only way I can afford to play and enjoy so many.

I took a little loss when selling that L05-M so the guy "Mike Gillum" got one hell of a deal btu it was worth it. He loves it and the 1-3/4 neck has helped his fingerpicking alot.

That was one sweet guitar. I am having some unique and very special mahogany small bodies commissioned this Jan. They will be hand made slothead small bodies. One of the models will be all M and brazilian overlay, fretboard and bridge with a fingerpicking designed neck. To die for. I almost have the first two batches spoken for sight unseen.

If you want to get in on that batch next year for about half what they would cost on the market just email me so I am not spamming up the channel.

Otherwise you just cant go wrong with a M top L05. They have a big warm sound. If you are looking for more mid punch a smaller body might be in order. They also make an OM and I recently saw a Larrivee 00 that was interesting.

Just realize they have a little different tone than spruce , in general. Warmer, clear, bright in some ways. Hard to explain.

• Members

Hi Guys,

Thanks LB....I figured it was a case of GAS that made you sell it. Just curious.... any idea how many of the L-05MT Larrivee makes each year? Have you ever played another one...wondering how consistent they are. They sure are beautiful to look at, and yeah I loved the tone on the one you had(just listened to it again) it was Sweeeeet!!!!

Thanks LB!!

• Members

Sorry SongMan forgot to reply to you.... I've actually got an LV-05MT coming from Dave @ Guitar Adoptions....it was the only one he had. I really didn't want the cut-away but hey beggers can't be choosey, so it will be here tomorrow and I am really looking forward to seeing and playing it. Oh yeah he charged me $1,335.00 delivered, I didn't think that was too bad as the cut-away adds 300.00 to the retail price. I found a few more on my search....just don't have the list in front of me, if you are interested I will round it up and let you know where they are.

Greg

• Members

Man what a great DEAL WOW. Yeah they are real consistent of course you always have a chance of getting some freaky special one that blows your mind. But I would not worry about getting a DOG. I dont see many Larrivee Dogs. Now you might find that Elixir Nanos lights after about 3-4 days of playing work really well on that guitar. The cutaway should be really nice and higher resale too. I can see how you are going wrong on this one. I personally think you will be BLOWN away. You will not believe the maple binding and quality of the fretboard and ivoroid binding etc. The only thing I think that sucks about Larrivee is those butt ugly tuners. Replace the buttons on them with EBONY buttons for about 25.00 dollars and it REALLY makes it nicer. The guitar will also loosen up and sound better and better over the first several months. It should sound really great out of the box though.

I am real happy for you..

:)

• Members

Thanks LB,

It sure sounded like a great deal to me too, was wondering what could possibly be wrong with it, nothing I'm sure. But I got a good feeling from Dave and he played it for me over the phone...it sounded unreal..I know it was over the phone but damn it sounded good! Oh yeah, where can I get some ebony tuner buttons?

Thanks

• Members

Hi Luv2Play,

I settled on the Elixir Nanoweb Lights in the purple pack. I would recommend wiping them down after every play with a tiny bit of Lemon Pledge on the tip of a rag. You also should order a Googalie cloth with it since they are very cheap. Dave might throw one in. The Elixirs are a little bright sounding for the first few days but they mellow out nicely and seem to make that Mahogany guitar sing.

As far as Ebony buttons you might have to start a thread. 56tweed owns a guitar just like yours and I know some of the forumites bought those black buttons off the web and they looked awesome. It might take a little research.

I am pretty sure the Grover or Gotoh buttons will fit the Larrivee Ping tuners. I took some grover buttons off a Gibson one time and tested them and I am almost certain they worked on the Larrivee tuners.

I would be careful and research that on the forum and ask folks. Might start a thread called.

"Need Place to order EBONY tuner buttons for Larrivee Ping tuners"

Good luck pal. Yeah Dave Schmidt is a very picky dealer. So you will be getting a guitar that NEVER sat in a showroom or has dings or scratches in it. Fresh MINT.

:)

• Members

I had some serious gas for the L-05MT but I know I can't afford it right now....I figured I could always get another the next time Larrivee makes a batch.I don't know what I want now...I really don't have....a set gas....looking at OM's and slope dreads.

• Members

LB,

Did you ever play an all Mahogany Larrivee Parlor? If so what was your opinion?

I am planning on purchasing a parlor from Dave in February but cannot make up my mind if I should go with the mahohany/spruce or all mahogany. The dealers in town don't have any in stock...:rolleyes:

• Members

Greg, Welcome to the Larrivee family! I hope you enjoy your new acquisition.

Regarding the tuners, the chrome Pings don't bother me, but if you (or anyone else) are looking for ebony tuners, there was a pertinent thread on the Larrivee forum (www.larriveeforum.com) a while back. It's now moved to page three or four on the list.

According to Tony Capri, Allparts has a set (part #TK 0997-0E0) which he says fit the Larrivee tuners.

Ken

• Members

Originally posted by LouisP

LB,

Did you ever play an all Mahogany Larrivee Parlor? If so what was your opinion?

No but I hear they are in great demand and pretty awesome. I would have to hear one though. I hear the Larrivee Parlors are pretty decent in general. Mahogany might not be for everyone though. It has a different sound in general. I think it sounds better on small body guitars tho.

Sometimes it's better to be able to try them all out in person regardless of the woods and just judge them on sound alone. Some M guitars really turn out amazing and some models don't I think the builder has to know the secrets to bringing the most out.

I would bet the M Parlor sounds great tho.

Archived