Series/parallel mod on SG replica...need help!

Adey

• Members

This same wiring will do 3 different things depending on the switch. on/on/on gets the series/split/parallel, on/off/on gets series/off/parallel and an on/on switch gets series /parallel as described by drewfx1. I've used it and it works well. The beauty is that, if you also want to try hum/sc, the same on/on switch will work for that as well. P/p pot will eliminate the need to drill xtra holes and limit your wiring choices somewhat. Good move getting a cheapie to experiment with. Drill some holes, have some fun.

• Members

If its some cheap copy the stock pickups most likely will on ly have 2 wires. You can mod the pickup to 4 wires.

Installing 4 Conductor Wiring
If the humbucking pickups already installed in your guitar have 4 conductor wiring, that's great !!! Go back to the wiring page and proceed from there.

Unfortunately, the humbucking pickups that are installed at the factory
very rarely
have 4 wires coming out of them
but
if you can gain access to the coils, you can install 4 wires to the pickup yourself.

WARNING: You should be absolutely sure of what you are doing. If not, have your local guitar shop do this OR buy new pickups.

You'll have to remove the pickup completely from the guitar and remove the pickup mounting ring. If the humbucker has a chrome cover, it
might
be possible to remove it. These covers are usually attached by one or two drops of solder. By applying heat from a soldering iron (for as little time as necessary) these drops can be melted away and the cover can be removed. However, if you have one of those chrome-covered, 'sealed-for-eternity', 'epoxy-filled' "bricks", not only is removing the cover impossible, getting at the coils is totally out of the question. Either be content with what you have or buy new pickups.

Okay, now the pickup is out of the guitar and you can see both coils. The coils are wrapped with a layer (or 2) of tape which you must
carefully
remove. Now you must look for a small insulated piece of wire that connects the top coil to the bottom coil, located where the blue arrow is pointing in the diagram. Now with wire cutters and applying NO tension to this wire, cut it in the middle.

The next step is to remove about

• Members

So to just sum up. If i get 2 x DPDT on/on/on switchs and follow the Seymour link provided by Drewfx i'll have series/parallel/split each pickup?

Thanks stratotak for your info, i havnt even opened the pups up yet, no doubt they'll be 2 wire, so that will be most helpsome.

Thanks guys!

Adey

Archived