Happy Xmas, War Is Over

zenzio

• Members

Originally posted by Chirpy_72

seems to me there are other more "innapropriate" threads to police huh?

Chirpy,

I hear what you're saying, and I recognize that there's a difference between some of the really offensive stuff that shows up and the mildly off-topic.

Still, I think LB made a good point--it's our forum. We need to set, abide by, and maintain the standards. One of the standards for which this forum was created was that it be on-topic only and, while I don't see any other problem in this post, it is off topic. Like the nose of the camel, once it is inside the tent, the rest of his carcass will follow. I don't see myself as the police, just an ordinary forumite reminding my friends of our values and traditions. The post is off-topic, hence my request.

The Preacher

• Members

Well, that may be but I can directly connect about 90% of the players I know to John Lennon.

With all due respect Preacher, you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. Lennon was and continues to be a major influence on most of us and I see NO problem in showing some respect here for him.

• Members

The original post was not about John Lennon's music, it was about John Lennon's message (i.e. politics). Preacher Will is right in saying this thread is offtopic.

Acoustic Forum John Lennon Thread - "What are the chord changes to Imagine?"

Open Jam John Lennon Thread - "Happy Xmas, War is Over"

• Members

John Lennon created a lot of the music that a lot us like to listen to and play.

I don't see any harm in a comment respecting him and his message.

Now somehow this thread has degenerated to talk about camel carcasses !!! ;)

No I think this forum does a good job at keeping "on-topic" and I don't see a problem with this thread.

BUT I respect your effort at wanting to keep this forum pure.

Now if any thread needs to moved to Open Jam, it should be those damn "Taylor vs Martin" threads or any "versus" thread for that matter !

• Members

Now if this was John Lennon V. Angus Young or Slash..... I could see your point.But, John Lennon has had a major impact on my thoughts, politically and non-politically and some of my playing as well.I think John Lennon was a smart man both in his music and in his thoughts.As a matter of fact, John Lennon has influenced most of the musicians I know on both music and thoughts.Let's take Neil Young for example.One of his songs even has a Lennon quote in it....can't remember which song but it's on the Greendale album....let's see, Jimmy Buffett.... I went to a concert of his a couple years back and he even played a song as a tribute to John Lennon..... I believe if it wasn't for John Lennon, music would be different.I believe he has impacted all of us at least once both in thoughts and music.....along with all of the beatles.I even have a few bumper stickers I keep on my bookshelf that have Lyrics and quotes on them from John Lennon.And if it weren't for John Lennon, I feel the beatles wouldn't have been who they were because almost every song that George Harrison wrote was co-written by John Lennon and vice versa.There would be 4 or 5 less signature guitars as well from Epiphone, Gibson,Rickenbacker.....maybe more than four or five.I mean come on....you've got to cut the guy some slack....he is one of the most influencial people to me and lots of others that have ever lived.~EH

• Members

Let's get this on topic. I love the John Lennon model J-160s because they introduced a solid top and I think this is much better than the laminate top models in the replica editions. I guess that's why they call the solid top models the "Beatles" model.

I think John Lennon was an extreme idealist and dreamer and had some great ideas. I also think he made mistakes like any human. I think the greatest thing about John Lennon was his chemistry with Paul and the combination of those two in harmony with George and Ringo will never be out done.

If John Lennon brings a message of peace in this holiday season then so be it. If you are a regular member of this forum and contribute strongly I can accept a positive message. Yes technically this post was off topic.

But now it's ON. Love to all you folks ! Now let's just let it be and a group hug would be nice :) lol

All the best !

gibj160e.jpg

• Members

"I'd like to say thanks on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition" - 1969

I hope you younger lads have the opportunity to study what happened all those years ago and how it affected us old geezers, and ultimately you too.

Lennon was and is my hero, despite his shortcomings. I hope you all have someone who changed or will change your life too. It's a great thing.

I find the older I get, the dearer these things become to me.

Thanks for letting me rant. All you need is love, baby.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

Let's get this on topic. I love the John Lennon model J-160s because they introduced a solid top and I think this is much better than the laminate top models in the replica editions. I guess that's why they call the solid top models the "Beatles" model.

I think John Lennon was an extreme idealist and dreamer and had some great ideas. I also think he made mistakes like any human. I think the greatest thing about John Lennon was his chemistry with Paul and the combination of those two in harmony with George and Ringo will never be out done.

If John Lennon brings a message of peace in this holiday season then so be it. If you are a regular member of this forum and contribute strongly I can accept a positive message. Yes technically this post was off topic.

But now it's ON. Love to all you folks ! Now let's just let it be and a group hug would be nice
:)
lol

All the best !

gibj160e.jpg

Ok LB...give some props to the Gibby Lennon...... but them dang knobs!!

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

But now it's ON. Love to all you folks ! Now let's just let it be and a group hug would be nice
:)
lol

All the best !

gibj160e.jpg

Aw c'mon LB, don't you think it would sound a whole lot better if you sanded off the finish?:D

The Preacher

• Members

I really like the look of slope shouldered dreadnoughts....I like the sound too.If I had the extra cash, I think my next guitar would either be an OM/OOO body shape or the J-160 Lennon model Gibson.Before I got my D-35 this year, one of my choices was the J-160.I really like the look of that sunburst.I think it kinda reminds me of your Santa Cruz, LB.I really love those sunbursts.I ran into a 35 sunburst type finished Martin D-18DC David Crosby Signature Edition.The owner said he had never seen one like it besides this one.It was number 34 in the D-18DC's,I think, but i'm not sure.It didn't sell and it was at $3,000 I think.It was on eBay.Boy, would I love a sunburst D-18DC, but I couldn't afford it because I only have.....$300 or so in liquid assets.Oh, I just thought of something, LB if you are reading this, I got the Volume 1 DVD and CD, thank you.Wondering if you got my payment yet.I sent it priority mail.I also recently bought a vial of soil collected in the field during Woodstock 69.I wasn't around during the beatles times but if I was, I probably would've gone to Woodstock....just to see Arlo Guthrie, CSN, John Fogerty (CCR)....oh and by the way, John Forgerty's favorite amp was purchased from a guy at Woodstock69.I think it's a Vox.~EH

• Members

Originally posted by Preacher Will

Zenzio,

I appreciate your observation but, as it is off topic and this is an on-topic only forum, would you please be kind enough to move this to open jam?

Thanks,

The Preacher

Apologies - I know, I know it's off-topic but there seems to be a lot of Beatles fans here and I think John Lennon did his best stuff with an acoustic in his hand, be it his Gibson or his Martin.

I was going to put it on Open Jam but come on...there's some nasty people on there!

Oh - I didn't grow up it that era (I was only three when Lennon was shot) but The Beatles are, and always have been, my favourite band - both as a guitarist and a fan of music.

• Members

I think those Beatle Gibsons bring up a good point about "vintage reissues" There's this dillema between making the guitar authentic (plywood top) and making the guitar better (solid spruce top. Gibson's answer was to make the model both ways i believe and to let the market decide. I know control knobs bolted to the soundboard is bad but they've been doing it on archtops for years. they do have a distinctive strumming sounds with the plywood top though.

And what's up with Yoko not letting Paul have the credit read "McCartney and Lennon" on the song "Yesterday"? What a selfish bitch.:mad:

• Members

I was put off the Lennon model by the laminate top but even more perplexing was the Lennon signature on the headstock.

I fail to see the authenticity of that!!

Also, I think the whole songwriting credit thing should have been sorted out when John was alive. It's not like Paul didn't make his feelings known back then and I've read before how John was embarrassed by people mistakenly thinking he wrote Yesterday, Hey Jude etc.

• Members

Originally posted by zenzio

Apologies - I know, I know it's off-topic but there seems to be a lot of Beatles fans here and I think John Lennon did his best stuff with an acoustic in his hand, be it his Gibson or his Martin.

I was going to put it on Open Jam but come on...there's some nasty people on there!

Oh - I didn't grow up it that era (I was only three when Lennon was shot) but The Beatles are, and always have been, my favourite band - both as a guitarist and a fan of music.

I did grow up in that era, with John being only a few years older than me. His band, his music and his vision of the Beatles helped shape a world view for untold millions, but most dramatically for the Baby Boomers who were there for the ride as it happened daily.

The memories of Beatles songs debuting on AM radio, and the impact of them on literally everyone who heard them, live forever in my heart for the simple fact that they are huge, massive parts of my life. Regardless of whatever anyone may say or think of Lennon and his views on anything, when the world realized his heart and mind had been snuffed out by a lunatic, the world mourned. And mourned. And it continues to this jaded day, because we lost a friend and a brother.

No one, especially not anyone of the era I speak, believes that John was perfect. He was no saint, but he was one hell of an outstanding musician and songwriter. Agree with his politics, which did change the world, or not. It matters not at all, just as commenting on a blue sky does not: the fact that each exists at the moment, and will again on another day, remains unaffected by anyone's admission or permission.

The day following the night of John's murder, I cried like I never had before or since. Not just for a Beatle. Not just for a musician. Not for a political icon. I cried for myself and the loss of a true and beloved friend who showed me things I'm still grappling to fully comprehend. I cried for the world that had lost yet another source of inspiration and beauty.

Off-topic? Not ever to me. Certainly not if this place is supposed to exist for the purpose of furthering discussion and playing of acoustic guitar. John is one of the giants who made the acoustic guitar a force far more powerful than any bomb or power-hungry politician could ever aspire to.

Another acoustic great was the humble and inimitable Woody Guthrie. He had the words written on his soundboard, "This guitar kills fascists." So it was with John, Paul and the boys. The music they made with their guitars transcended pop culture and transformed the world into a society of thinkers and communicators.

Everyone should take pause to remember John, especially those of us who daily clutch an acoustic guitar next to our hearts. Along with lots of sore fingers, all we need is love.

Archived