Acoustic Crap

guitarguy

• Members

Playing time wouldn't cause the body to cave in no matter how much you played. Sounds like you have other serious problems. Lack of humidity maybe. People have $200 Yamahas and other brands that they have played for years. I don't think I've ever seen a guitar with the entire body caving in. At least not without some outside help.

• Members

I bought a Art &Lutherie for $189 at Steves in toronto. It kicks ass and I am rough on this one. It will last for ever. It is part of the lasido family (Godin, Larivee, Somon & Patrick( adinfinitum.

You can get a good inexpensive guitar if you buy wisely.
Grotto.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarguy

Dont buy cheap acoustics ($200 Yamaha) cause one month later the entire body is almost caved in with very little playing time.

That's a sign of a dried out guitar. Hard to say for sure without seeing. But if your heater is on and relative humidity is below 30% or more that will make the top sink. Cheap guitars probably affected more. Just a guess though. You know better than I do. You can see it. Are the fret ends cutting on your hands too ?

Usually the tension of the strings pulls up on the top not down.

• Members

I know a lot of people like Larrivees round here, so please forgive me if you happen to like them.

I have heard there may be some dubious importer bringing in Larrivee 2nds to Europe (one good reason to scrap all seconds imo), so my experiences may be due to this. I have been trying various Larrivees round here since about 10 years and basically formed my own opinion of them being crap.

You have no idea how many Larrivees I played with glue blobs, badly applied finishing, splinterred braces, frets sticking way out and razor sharp. Terribly shoddy workmanship, and tone really dead and sterile.

Yamaha's are generally a dream compared to them

• Members

All the Larrivees I have seen and owned have been very high quality. In fact perfect. I have owned 4 now and played about 30-40. I haven't picked up a Dog yet. No glue spots. Perfect fret work etc. Sorry to hear that NR. I rarely hear of a complaint on Larrivees or their customer service. I also have not read about factory seconds. In fact Larrivee used to smash them on the sidewalk and into the dumpster. They had a video on their website of what happens to guitars not worthy of the name tag.

They are also making the 05 series and above in USA now. I have had one of those and it was incredible. Also about 5-6 of us here have all bought new Larrivees over the past year and they all are reported as flawless.

Of course Larrivee might not be just right for everyone but QC has never been an issue for me and I am pretty dogone picky.

I did get an OM with a shim under the saddle new recently but thats as bad as it's gotten.

Sorry to hear you had troubles, quite surprising indeed. Brian T is customer support would probably send you a new guitar.

:D

• Members

LB, I read at the AG Forum a while ago that there was a problem with Larrivee seconds getting into circulation. I made my own deductions based on this and the quality of the Larrivees I've played. I have even borrowed several over weekends, 05's and 03R's which were cosmetically sound, but tonewise dead as a doorknob.
It's always frustrated me because of the hype and the low price compared to US guitars.

Archived