1966 Martin 000-28

nigel1228

• Members

I have an extremely nice problem to have; possessing a one-owner, near mint 1966 Martin 000-28 that I just can't get "locked-in" to that perfect tone and ideal action. I've tried some Martin 12s (don't remember which type) and I mistakenly put on a set of Elixir Polyweb 13s - neither was very satisfying. Also, the action is a tad high for the fingerpicking I attempt on this beauty, especially when barring 2nd position chords. A friend who sells vintage guitars here in Chicago suggested trying a set of Martin Marquis 11s and perhaps shaving the saddle. BTW, both the saddle and nut is the original 1966 white plastic Martin used according to that same friend.

• Members

bone the nut and get a compensated bone saddle try some John Pearse......DR Rares.....Webstrings PhosphorBronze lights.....also, try Ernie Ball extra slinky 8-38's (no joke either).I seem to be an Ernie Ball person.Can't stand Dean Markley anymore.....his strings seem so thick and meaty....ick.Even the lightest Dean Markley's feel funny.I like Ernie Ball and Elixer.~EH

• Members

A 1966 Martin 000-28! I'm jealous since you possess a very nice and valuable instrument! The guitar is nearly 40 years old so I'd check out the neck angle. It may need a neck reset (major work). Frank Ford shows you what to check on his great public service site, Frets.com. If the neck angle is fine then the saddle and possibly also the nut will need some work (minor work). Unless you know what you're doing I would not use this guitar as a training ground! Martin's warranty will cover the reset to the original owner only, however they no longer cover refrets and setup work.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html

Archived