Carvin Cobalt series-mahogony vs rosewood

surfcat

• Members

You get your choice-solid mahogony or laminated rosewood. I'd love solid rosewood-I'd probably order one today, but with the available choices, I'd probably lean toward the solid mahagony. I'm a little concerned about the previously discussed non-solid mahogony one that someone had on here-how can you be sure yours is all solid? Aside from that though, which would sound better? I have a mahogony backed Gibson and am considering a rosewood backed Martin, but at half the price how much tone would I be losing buying a laminated Carvin?

• Members

The previous mahogany issue is no longer an issue. The mahogany guitars are a bit more body resonant and "softer" in tone than the rosewood guitars, but for cutting through a mix, the rosewood is phenomenal. All tops are solid wood and all sides are laminate. Don't be afraid of the "L' word. They all sound phenomenal. You can hear my rosewood C980 at www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com/boggspage9.html on tracks 1,3,4,& 5. I much prefer Carvin's necks over the Martins I've played, but admittedly, that is a personal preference. Carvin's setups have been consistently better as well from what I have played in stores. I did play a bunch of Cobalts at NAMM and in their factory store. Extremely consistent. Boggs

Archived