question about tying strap around headstock

lovethebomb

• Members

howdy y'all--i've got a question. ok, here's my problem: if i tie my strap around my acoustic headstock, when i stand up i have to retune my e and b strings because the added pressure makes the strings go sharp. conversely, if i sit down i have to tune them back down. i can live with this fact but i would like to know if this is bad for the guitar. what do you think?

• Members

I've never had that kind of problem, and I actually prefer having my strap attach at the headstock. I'm going to assume that you lace the string under the strings as they go to the tuners and that the pressure causing the tuning problem is due to pressure on the neck from hanging from the strap....

I'd have the neck looked at by a luthier you trust. That just shouldn't happen...

dv

• Members

Originally posted by donavanvicha

I've never had that kind of problem, and I actually prefer having my strap attach at the headstock. I'm going to assume that you lace the string under the strings as they go to the tuners and that the pressure causing the tuning problem is due to pressure on the neck from hanging from the strap....

I'd have the neck looked at by a luthier you trust. That just shouldn't happen...

dv

Don't you think it depends on the weight of the guitar vs. the width and thickness of the neck ?

• Members

Sounds like the strap is pulling on the strings. Like Donavan said you need to string the cord under the strings, not over. Cannot imagine that you're doing any harm but there should be no need to constantly retune.

Personally, I am not comfortable playing with the strap tied around the headstock. I always install a strap pin on my acoustics. Your local shop can do this for about 10 bucks labor if you would rather not drill a hole into the heel of the neck. I find the guitar balances better this way.

Just my opinion, others will feel otherwise. :D

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/StrapButton/strapbutton1.html

• Members

A strap pin sounds reasonable.

There is a quick dissconnect for connecting to the head stock.

You could make your own quick dissconnect.

The whole strap connected to the headstock, introduces

problems, problems you don't need.

There is a strap holder that uses the sound hole.

This also blows chunks.

Strap pin or a high stool seems like your best bet.

paraphonic

• Members

thanks for all the advice--i'm going to have the neck looked at and then, if there is nothing to be done, i'm getting a strap button put on. oh, and the strap is under the strings on the headstock--i'm not a total idiot, just mostly one. thanks again.

• Members

I'm sure other companies make them as well, but I've found the Martin neck strap to be great (attached with a button to your shoulder strap, replacing the cord). I have to use it because the heel of my neck is not big enough to accommodate an aftermarket strap button, and I'm not about to install it on the body.

• Members

Originally posted by bullpencoach

I'm sure other companies make them as well, but I've found the Martin neck strap to be great (attached with a button to your shoulder strap, replacing the cord). I have to use it because the heel of my neck is not big enough to accommodate an aftermarket strap button, and I'm not about to install it on the body.

how would the martin neck strap remedy the problem? it seems that the tension would still be there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've used a shoestring (Green Bay Packers) around the headstock, below the strings, just above the nut) on my Tacoma and in the two years I've had it, I have never had a problem with tuning. It sorta makes me wonder what kind of neck stability your guitar has, lovethebomb. Does your guitar have a truss rod, or is it an unsupported neck?

• Members

Originally posted by bsman

I've used a shoestring (Green Bay Packers) around the headstock, below the strings, just above the nut) on my Tacoma and in the two years I've had it, I have never had a problem with tuning. It sorta makes me wonder what kind of neck stability your guitar has, lovethebomb. Does your guitar have a truss rod, or is it an unsupported neck?

it's got a trussrod--it's an '86 takamine and from what i can tell, it was one of the higher end taks for the time (full binding on back, sides and neck, solid top, rosewood back and sides) so i think it's a pretty good guitar. i actually did a little experimenting with the position of the knot where the strap is tied and that has seemed to help a lot. i do thank everyone for their suggestions and help though.

Archived