Help with 12 string

Starr man

• Members

Hi everyone! Happy Holidays.... I broke out my old 12 string after years of sitting and decided to scrub it up and re-string it. I bought a new light guage Daddario set ($18.95 ouch).They were much lighter then the originals. I did not dig them as much. I was told that 12-strings should be tuned a whole step down or a least a half step because of the extra tension. I looked in the Musicians Friend catalog and saw numerous 12 string sets all in light guage only. Ouestion 1) Are 12 strings supposed to be tuned down? How much? Question 2) Where can you find medium or heavy 12 string sets? Thanks! Starr man

• Members

As far as I know, most 12-strings are intended to be played at regular tuning. There are exceptions; I believe the Taylor Leo Kottke model is specifically built to be tuned down. My Tacoma DM18-12 is fine at regular tuning. But yeah I also think most 12s are intended to be strung with light strings. I wouldn't try and put anything heavier on them without doing some research about your particular guitar. I don't know where you could find heavier strings, or if you would want to....

• Members

Originally posted by Starr man

Ouestion 1) Are 12 strings supposed to be tuned down? How much? Question 2) Where can you find medium or heavy 12 string sets? Thanks! Starr man

1. It all depends on how well it's built. Guild, Ovation, Taylor, Larrivee, Tacoma, Gibson, Martin, and other quality instruments can be tuned to standard pitch without harm. I would be hesitant to keep an inexpensive imported instrument which is not properly braced tuned to standard pitch for an extended period of time. Much safer to tune down one full step (Low E tuned to D) and slap a capo on the second fret.

2. See answer to 1. If you wish to live dangerously you can go ahead and put on medium gauge strings and keep it tuned to standard pitch. If the top bulges and the neck warps this will turn out to be a bad decision.:D :D :D

Heavy gauge strings are hardly used by anymore (except dobro and slide players), hence they are difficult to find. Definitely not recommended on a 12, and I don't think anyone even manufactures a full set, although you would be able to buy the individual strings.

Give your new strings a few days to settle down. The brightness will fade. If you find Phosphor Bronzes too bright you could switch to nickel next time.

One last thing. My 12 string is an Ovation Pacesetter from the 70's, a medium depth body which plays beatifully, is built like a tank, and sounds like crap, except when it's plugged in. It always sounded tinny until I put a set of D'Addario light gauge coated EXP's. It really brought the treble down and they last longer, although they ain't cheap.

• Members

My Maton, can use Mediums @ standard pitch

But I use Lights(12's)

I play them in standard tuning and they are so sweet...

But if you want that rumble~ing resonence..tune it down a whole step..... and have Fun

Right now mine is in a Double Drop D Tuning.....and I'm having so much fun with it:cool:

• Members

I have a Washburn D-something 12 string that I tune to standard. So far it's not bad, but I wonder if a JLD bridge doctor could help it (as well as other 12 strings) handle the load. I string it with light strings (.010-.050 for main strings) as well as a .009 for the octave G. I don't know if I'd want to put heavier strings on it... imagine a .014 - .060 12 string set!

• Members

Tuning down 1/2 to 1 whole step because of "tension" is utter rubbish. Some tune down because the 12 wouldn't sound as bright...or to quote SteveO, "rumble-ing resonence(sic)". Also as to accomodate a singer with limited vocal range(David Lee Roth, anyone?)

Taylor's Leo Kottke signature 12 and Stella's Leadbelly are the only guitar that I've noticed that WAS designed to be tuned to a C and use medium gauge.

I've had an Applause 12-string for YEARS strung at concert pitch without any problems.

I also would not recommend tuning down, then slapping a capo to regular concert pitch simply because the guitar has always been out of tune by nature...and capoing it would throw it out of tune even more.

• Members

Tuning down 1 step has helped keep a Martin 12 String true for over 3 years. No truss rod.

Capo(ing) the guitar to standard pitch requires re-tuning and is beneficial for those guitarists who do not transpose quickly. The capo allows one to finger the regular chord progression without barre/cross chords, too.

Your Applause bridge and area where it is glued probably has a hump, look close.

The Applause 12 string with the aluminum fretboard (which looks like wood) keeps the neck true. Tension is certainly an issue.

The act of tuning down a step also makes it easier to press the strings.....important if you play several hours at a gig.

"The BOOGIEMAN GUITAR METHOD"

http://www.1stbooks.com/bookview/18065

• Members

I just recently became the owner of a new 12-string. a Japanese Takamine ef381sc. So far I am so impressed with it. But I have no clue as to how or what I should do to take care of it. I've been reading some of your threads. Should I loosen the strings after each use. Should I use a humidifier? (live in GA). Should I tune down a step? The guitar came w/ light gauge strings w/ a great setup from GC, tuned standard. If I kept it like this, what could happen, is the bridge going to pull away from or warp the top? This guitar does have a trus rod (or whatever it is called). Just wanted some know how from some of you experienced 12 stringers. Any info will help. Thanks a lot***

• Members

PLAY IT AND LEAVE IT TUNED WHEN YOU'RE DONE. KEEP AN EYE ON IT. THE TOP MAY BE RE-STRUCTURED WITH STRUTS SO YOU CAN USE THE STANDARD TUNING. IF YOU SEE STRESS CRACKS BEHIND THE BRIDGE THEN TUNE IT DOWN, BUT FOR NOW JUST ENJOY IT. THE LIGHT GAUGE STRINGS SHOULD BE REPLACED WHEN THEY BECOME DULL SOUNDING WITH THE SAME LIGHT GAUGE. WIPE THEM OFF WITH A DRY CLOTH AFTER PLAYING.

THE HUMIDIFIER IS A GOOD IDEA, AND FAST TEMPERATURE CHANGE IS SOMETHING TO STAY AWAY FROM. SO, IF IT'S COLD OUTSIDE (GA) OR REALLY HOT, LEAVE IT IN THE CASE FOR A FEW MINUTES WHEN YOU LEAVE YOUR HOUSE. QUICK OR EXTREME TEMP CHANGE WILL "SPIDER-WEB" THE CLEAR FINISH.

IF THE ACTION STARTS TO CHANGE CHECK THE NECK FOR "BANANA" .....TAKE IT TO A GUITAR SHOP FOR TRUSS ROD ADJUSTMENT. MOST LIKELY, YOUR GUITAR WILL BE FINE AND WILL AGE LIKE GOOD WINE.

"The BOOGIEMAN GUITAR METHOD"

http://www.1stbooks.com/bookview/18065

• Members

thanks for the reply. I know mine has a truss rod, but I swear it looks like the top is warping a little or sinking in if i keep it standard tuned for very long. Is this normal, is the guitar made to give a little, just dont want to ruin a good thing ya know**

Archived