value of an old Martin guitar

rhodeye

• Members

Yeah, I was going to say it's worth nothing and I'd be happy to take it off your hands so you wouldn't have it taking up space, but the hippy beat me to the joke. I guess I'd look for a while before you decide to sell. Frankly, I wouldnt' sell if I were you.

Sooner or later someone in your family is going to be a player and say, "You sold WHAT????!!!!" You'll have a hard time EVER buying a guitar like that and you'll NEVER get one with family history built in. But if you must sell it then I'll give you $226.

Blackmail

• Members

Yea but I bet that's not what George paid for it. Condition is everything with those old D-18's They tended to get abused more because they were considered cheaper guitars and not valued as highly. There was no vintage market in those days so people didn't take care of a guitar as much looking at it holding its value in the future. Does it sound good? The ones I've played sounded way too boomy. I like a 000-18 prewar better for my style myself.

• Members
Originally posted by soups41

I'll give you $1000 for it
;)

No, seriously, depending on the condition, it could well be worth around $8000

Geroge Gruhn does online apprasials- just have a good digital camera ready.

check out their website at
www.gruhn.com

I had one done on a 72 D-41 and it turned out to be almost exact

$8,000 my arse.... I've seen em go for 4 to 5 grand on eBay....tops. Besides, what kind of an idiot would pay that much for the same exact guitar being built today....ie: no brazillian rosewood.Why not just buy a 50's or early to mid sixties D-18......you could get one like that for a lot less and I bet there wouldn't be the slightest difference in tone.....on top of that... you would also have a real truss rod instead of some ebony reinforcement rod thing that replaced the regular non adjustable rods around the WWII era because they needed to ration and save the metal to build military equipment,planes,tanks,jeeps, etc.

• Members

$8,000 my arse.... I've seen em go for 4 to 5 grand on eBay....tops. Besides, what kind of an idiot would pay that much for the same exact guitar being built today....ie: no brazillian rosewood.Why not just buy a 50's or early to mid sixties D-18......you could get one like that for a lot less and I bet there wouldn't be the slightest difference in tone.....on top of that... you would also have a real truss rod instead of some ebony reinforcement rod thing that replaced the regular non adjustable rods around the WWII era because they needed to ration and save the metal to build military equipment,planes,tanks,jeeps, etc.

a prewar Martin dred for 4 or 5 grand has to have something wrong with it like a refinish, new top...etc.

They DO have Adirondak spruce tops instead of Sitka like a 50's or 60's Martin . Probably also have a V neck and scallop bracing

(they switched out of scallop bracing in 1945 or so)

In the late sixties I think they changed the bridgeplate to rosewood. there's also some business about the X bracing being moved further away from the soundhole in the more modern Martins. There's also that immeasurable effect of what age is worth. The ebony rod thing was only for a short time.

On the other hand the old Martins don't have an adjustable neck,

Can't be played because they are too valuable, and usually need a neck reset or have already had one. I do agree that the sound quality is open to debate.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

a prewar Martin dred for 4 or 5 grand has to have something wrong with it like a refinish, new top...etc.

They DO have Adirondak spruce tops instead of Sitka like a 50's or 60's Martin . Probably also have a V neck and scallop bracing

(they switched out of scallop bracing in 1945 or so)

In the late sixties I think they changed the bridgeplate to rosewood. there's also some business about the X bracing being moved further away from the soundhole in the more modern Martins. There's also that immeasurable effect of what age is worth. The ebony rod thing was only for a short time.

On the other hand the old Martins don't have an adjustable neck,

Can't be played because they are too valuable, and usually need a neck reset or have already had one. I do agree that the sound quality is open to debate.

I was at a loss of sleep when I typed that I forgot some things, yes they want from a small maple bridgeplate to a large rosewood bridgeplate,no scalloped bracing,no V neck,no herringbone,in 1983 they went to the adjustable truss rod, back then they were using them butterbean knobs and those open back tuners.I really think it's a waste of money because of the high collector value when you can go out and just buy a 50's D-18 or a D-18GE, or vintige series 18.

Archived