Acoustic guitars: Is there no life up the fretboard?

pongo Snodgrass

• Members

The money frets are from the nut to the 9th fret. You must not be looking very hard. Most pro's play the money frets quite a bit. Tommy Emmanuel, Pete Huttlinger, Pat Kirtley, Don Jones, Jim Hurst, Steve Rector, Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, Doc Watson, Buster B., Thom Bresh, Stephan Grossman, Peppino D'Agostino, John Renbourn. There are a lot more. All the fingerstyle players in our club play up the neck a lot. Now if you are talking about singer/strummers then they may not play up the neck very much but the guitar players do. many player/singers will play local while they sing and go up the neck for a solo part. It adds color to the music.

• Members

I agree with Carle, the fretboard is an open field once you learn to use it. Open chords can be found in any tuning just about any place you want them. I would suggest a more advanced book/video to help you get started. About any of them will work. Orsino posted a celtic site here that is current, you might give it a try. Playing in DADGAD is going to take you up the fretboard on almost any song. Homespun Tapes has some material in that tuning. Good Luck and I know you will enjoy your efforts.

• Members

I have a couple of Martin Simpson tapes and he makes good use of the entire fretboard. There is one tune he plays that I'm slowly beginning to learn. He starts by playing some melody notes high on the fretboard. While demonstrating how to play it he shows you how it could also be played on lower frets with the same pitch. What a difference! The higher position causes wonderful sympathetic vibrations of the other strings. This is a great example of how the tune literally has more life up the fretboard. I showed a friend of mine the melody line on a Larrivee he has and it caused him to take a renewed interest in his acoustic.

On a side note it seems that I can almost tell how dry my guitar is getting by the way it reacts when I play that melody. Cool stuff.

• Members

Hmm, as a matter of fact, friday nite a friend gave me a book called Fingerstyle Guitar by Mark Hanson and I started learning a tune called Canyon Cannon and it is all over the neck from open to the 11th fret. It is mostly arpeggio with some dissonance. I can play all but the last two lines but it still needs LOTS of practice. There are a lot of instruction books to help play up the neck and it's well worth the time and effort. It sure adds a lot of color to a tune.

• Members

Originally posted by Carle

Hmm, as a matter of fact, friday nite a friend gave me a book called Fingerstyle Guitar by Mark Hanson and I started learning a tune called Canyon Cannon and it is all over the neck from open to the 11th fret. It is mostly arpeggio with some dissonance. I can play all but the last two lines but it still needs LOTS of practice. There are a lot of instruction books to help play up the neck and it's well worth the time and effort. It sure adds a lot of color to a tune.

i ordered the video for that.....shou;ld be fun.

Archived