Info on 1942 Martin 00-17

Mattface

• Members

Hey I'm in Detroit for the holidays without my guitar so I asked my aunt if I could borrow hers while I'm here.

It's a sweet little thing a 1942 Martin 00-17 which she has had since the 1950s. She hasn't played it in over a decade, but when I took it out of the case it was almost in tune. less than a half step sharp! It's got silk and steel strings on there that are probably 20 years old and black with age, but it still projects well, and has a nice full tone. Much fuller bass than spruce topped guitars of that size tend to have. The finish has some light scratching, and the neck has enough bow to it that the intonation is about a half step sharp at the twelfth fret. Not bad, and thouroughly playable.

She's not intending to sell it, but I'm curious if anyone here has an idea of the aproximate $ value of this thing. In the end it really doesn't matter, but I'm curious.

• Members

shouldn't be a problem to get her to do that. she hasn't touched it in a decade. The good news is the bridge and top are still quite flat. Probably thanks to the fact that she liked to use silk and steels on it. The neck has a little bit of a bow to it though. I'm guessing it won't un-bow just from being detuned ain the case, so she is going to need to take it to a luthier to be straightened at some point.

• Members

These kind of family heirlooms are great! I have a '39 0-17 that my Grandfather bought new for my mother and I cannot imagine not having it around to play.

I believe the 0 and 00 17's are pretty close in value so I'd guess around $1500. They've been the last of the pre-war Martins to start moving up in value but it probably just needs a neck reset; maybe $2K?

Grant

Archived