Do you think Martin should make a Johnny Cash signature guitar?

J.

• Members

originally posted by 10drum.

It is frustrating to go into a store and try a new 000-28 and compare it to a 000-28EC(Eric Clapton), and have to pay $1200-$1500 more for the "EC", just to get the better wood, when that wood use to be in a standard 000-28.

Both have solid spuce tops, solid indian rosewood backs and sides, mahogany necks, ebony fretboard. Where is the better wood?

• Members

Redman,

Talk to a Martin dealer and they'll tell you Martin has different grades of wood.

If you look at say a 1970 D-28, for example, look at the top and you'll see a perfectly straight grain spruce, and if you look at new standard D-28, the grain isn't as straight and evenly spaced as an older one. I've noticed the higher priced signature models seem to have a better sound and cleaner looking tops.

In my opinion, Martin's superior sound is because they have had a good supply of better, seasoned wood.

I love Martins and have owned a couple of early 70's, but I like the adjustable necks and playability on the newer models. I just think Martin and Gibson has found a way to get more money for their finer instruments, with signature models. I think proir to the 80's the higher priced Martins just had more inlay.

• Members

I like a lot of the martin signature models I have seen. They are very nice guitars, and some have unique features I like. Some of them are of musicians I admire, and others are of musicians I could care less about.

Still I would rather NOT own a signature model. I admire good musicians, and good musicianship, but if I buy a guitar I want it to be MY guitar, not Johnny Cash's guitar, or Woody Guthrie's guitar, Or Andy Griffith's or whatever. (The Andy Griffith sure is pretty though look at that bearclaw!)

And I don't want anyone's signature on it either! Not inlaid on the fretboard, or scrawled on the sound board. The only signature I want is the one of the luthier who built it. If I want someones autograph I'll have em put it on a napkin, or a baseball or a boobie or something, NOT on my guitar :mad:;)

• Members

10drum is correct regarding Martin's use of different grades of wood for different price levels. However, the supposition that a higher grade of wood leads to better sound is questionable. It is pretty easy to find a guitar with a lower grade top which sounds better than a guitar with a higher grade top (talking individuals here). Within bounds of reason, you are paying more for aesthetics once you get past a certain grade of wood - the wood is rarer, hence the higher price.

Ken

• Members
Originally posted by ksargent

No but Milli Vanilli did
:cool:

You might consider finding another criteria to judge by.

Ken

Zing!!! Nice one... I almost busted out laughing here at work.

• Members

Just thought of something...If what it takes to get the neophyte into starting up with music - guitar in particular; wanting a 'Signature Guitar' and having one availible of that persons idol; -Thats all it takes, well F*ck it, I've been waiting for the reincarnation of Stevie, Jimi,D'Jango,Terry, Frank like a freakin Tibetin.
Greystoke

• Members

Just thought of something...If what it takes to get the neophyte into starting up with music - guitar in particular; wanting a 'Signature Guitar' and having one availible of that persons idol; -Thats all it takes, well F*ck it, I've been waiting for the reincarnation of Stevie, Jimi,D'Jango,Terry, Frank like a freakin Tibetin.
Greystoke

Archived