garrison guitars

4sidedoctagon

• Members

I played one at a local store and wasn't really blown away. It wasn't a "bad" guitar by any means, but nothing about it really impressed me. The only thing that's supposed to set it apart from other manufacturers (I think) is the odd one-piece bracing inside the guitar. Supposedly it's supposed to give lots of tone and sustain or at least something like that. Again, it didn't sound "bad", but nothing about it screamed, spoke loudly, or really even spoke at all of "aren't I incredible?". The volume projection was decent but not outstanding, and the tone was well-balanced, but again, not outstanding.

My only real beef with it was it's chunky neck. I have small-ER hands and like a slighly slimmer neck such as what's on my Taylor. I really like Martin necks as well, but that Garrison neck was just TOOOO big. Maybe it's an option that can be specified if special ordering a specific model, but if not, make sure you play one prior to purchasing one.

• Members

I played a few the other week and was not impressed. My dad had mentioned that they might be a good entry level guitar to recommend to friends but a couple of the ones I played were almost $1000 (and definitely not worth it). I thought in general the sound was quite thin. They played alright and the one they had for under $500 was OK for the price but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone I like. It's all a matter of taste but for the money there are much better guitars out there. The entry level Taylors and Larrivees are a much better choice. Or the 15 series Martins if you like that sound better. For the budget minded I used to recommend Seagull.

• Members

I own a Garrison G-40 that I've had about two years. It is a good guitar with great sound. I can't really argue with the above post as mine sounded thin when new. The upper frets would be it's weak link, but usable. mine has a very powerful and rich bass response.I would not want to get rid of my Garrison as I am sure I could always find a song that it will be great for it. Good luck in your search.

• Members

Yes, it is always about personal taste, but I have to disagree with two people above. I think Garrisons are superb guitars.

At least their two high end models G-40 and G-50.

I tryed some 2000-3000$ Taylors, and Yamahas against it and I would still choose G-50 and G-40, for under a thousand.

That guitar just sounds absolutly right to me, the voice has Taylor brightness and bell like high end, but still warm and very full, almost like old Gibsons. The tone is very ballanced and articulate. Also plaged in it sounds great. The sound man in my church likes it way better than Taylor 410, and Guild (forgot the model) that other people use.

G-50 is rosewood back and sides, G-40 is mahogany back and sides, and the wood brings it own uniq characteristics.

There are some big name proffecianals that use them, like "Tragically Hip" and "Allanis Morriset"

And lower end models for the money are just steal...

You have to really watch humidity and temperature change though, Garrisons are very sensetive to that, and can be craked easely.

• Members

My main issue with Garrisons is the weight. I've played a couple and thought they sounded fine - I wasn't blown away, but I wasn't turned off either. However, they are just plain HEAVY - even more than any Guild I've seen. More even than my Ovation. I guess if you're used to slinging a Les Paul, it might not bother you, but IMO, the weight robs it of some of the resonance. I compare them to my (very light) Tacoma EM-9, and I just don't get that same feeling of the back resonating against my chest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Garrisons are heavier than most acoustics, and there necks are pretty darn wide.

BUT, I think they make great value guitars that sound good. But for a grand, as posted above? Hell, I've seen new G-50's online sell for substantially less than that.

I think these guitars respond especially well to heavier strings, but that's just my experience with what I've heard and played (no, I don't own one).

Eh, I think they have some neat tones, but they definitely aren't for everyone in the sound and feel departments.

• Members

My local music stores have their whole range, and none of them really impress me. Their fiberglass bracing system definatly adds weight. I think it also affects their tone too much. All of the garrisons just had an overall 'blah' feel to them. Lower strings were too bassy and the upper strings had almost a hollow sound to them. Going from notes on the D string to the G sounded like swithcing guitars.

If your looking for a good entry level guitar and can get a deal on one they might not be bad, but for a mid-level or high end guitar I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Archived