New stuff at Martin

orsino

• Members

wouldn't it have been cool if they had had #1000000 be just an ordinary guitar? A nice D-28 maybe. something that represents the other 999,999 guitars most of which were beautifully crafted beautiful sounding instruments without excessive gaudy ornamentation. Gold and pearl is for jewelry. WOOD is for guitars.

• Members

It's not like they have any of the same people working there now. The turnover rate at Martin is atrocious! I mean they've already chewed through 3 C.F, Martins, and several with different first and middle initials.

Anyway I doubt if the new archtops are the same as the old ones. THe real question is does anyone care? On the one hand Martin is not a name associated with archtops, on the ohter hand they are associated with quality instruments. It might just work. And hell if it doesn't, it'll hardly drive them out of business. They'll just discontinue the archtops, and whammo instant collectible!

Originally posted by 54merk

So they are going to try archtops again. Martin's prewar archtops were never able to compete with Gibson and Epiphone. Interesting that they are giving them another go.

• Members

Originally posted by Mattface

It's not like they have any of the same people working there now. The turnover rate at Martin is atrocious! I mean they've already chewed through 3 C.F, Martins, and several with different first and middle initials.

:D :D :D

ROFL!

Yeah Matt, you're right.

I did not realize Martin had tried to be competitive during the heyday of the archtops until I read about this part of their history in The Illustrated History of the Acoustic Guitar. According to what I read, the guitars were really not bad however they were not actually carved. As a result, they could not compete in volume with the top guns of that era, Gibson and Epiphone. Back before electrification, volume was everything since the archtop was used primarily in the rhythm section of big bands. Hopefully they are really serious about it and will actually resort to carving the bodies.

:D

Archived