Can you adjust the action on an acoustic guitar

23miles

• Members

I don't really know much about acoustic guitars, I have always played electrics. But I have an acoustic 12-string (Martin D12-20). And the action seems very high. Ordinarily I play 9 - 46 strings on my solid body electrics and 10s on my hollow bodies, so the thicker strings of the acoustic are really tough for me. Is ther any way to lwer the action or am I just going to have to strengthen my fingers? Thanks.

• Members

It's not hard to do but it does take some time to do it right. If the bridge has a removable saddle then do this. measure the string height at the 12th fret and decide how much you want to lower them. Get a capo and put it on the neck about the first to third fret. loosen the strings and pull on them at the sound hole to keep the string tight on the post. The capo will keep the strings on the winding posts and allow you to remove the pegs and move the strings out of the way to get the saddle out of the bridge. Now you have to sand or file the bottom off the saddle to lower the strings. It is very important that you keep the bottom flat and perpendicular to the side of the saddle. I use dial calipers to scribe the side then rub a pencil on the scribe line to highlight it. If you are not sure of yourself do not attempt it. If you want to try it and have any questions email me or post a question here. I will help you if I can.
Carle

There are some fine points I have left out for good reasons.

• Members

I suppose that would depend on how high the action really is and what is is causing it.

You can adjust the truss rod and maybe the saddle height, but I'd leave that to a professional, because you'll get buzzing and mess things up if you don't know what your'e doing. You need the proper string angle at the saddle for good sound etc...

Maybe the action is not bad for a 12 string and you need to get used to it since you're used to playing electric.

You might just take the guitar in for a tune-up. Bring your favorite strings to set it up with.

• Members

Make sure your neck is straight before doing anything. A little forward bow in your neck can cause a very different feeling on your guitar. A truss-rod adjustment may be in orde.r. Then again, maybe not.

It's not too terribly hard to adjust the bridge saddle, as detailed above.

• Members

Be carefull how low you take it so it will fit your playing style. If you flail the strings it needs to be higher than if you play moderately hard. That is something you will have to work out for yourself from the way you set your elec guitars. You know how you play. Have fun doing it but don't get in a hurry. Take your time and do it right the first time, but all it would cost is a new saddle anyway. BTW, when the guitar is tuned to pitch the neck should have some relief in it. About .020 clearance at about the 7th or 8th fret when you hold the string down at the first and 14th fret.

Archived