1964 Gibson small body 12 string?

Mattface

• Members

I have a friend who has an old small bodied Gibson she has had forever. I haven't seen it, but the serial number puts it at 1964, she claims it's a small body, and says she had to out a towel in the case to maker it fit snugly. I think it's a cherry sunburst 12 string. other than that I haven't got much of a description of it. Does anyone have any idea what model this one may be? Any pictures I can show her? Thanks.

• Members

Hey Matt,

The guitar your friend is describing is a Gibson B 25-12. Here's a link to a typical specimen:http://www.gbase.com/gearlist/guitar_picture.asp?guitar=495652

Actually, and this relates to a post from a few days ago regarding a J-45 12 string, the first 'modern day' 12 strings were made, by request, by the Gibson company.

My criteria for 'modern day' is the song "Walk Right in, Sit right down" by the Rooftop singers. There were two guitarists in the band, Erik Darling and Bill Svanoe.

They had Gibson make them matching, round-shouldered, J-45 12 strings back in 1963 (may have been in 62 prior to the songs release), except that Eriks was a lefty.

It was actually for sale at the Mandolin Brothers for quite some time, and I guess someone finally bought it.

Those instruments are 'ground zero', as it were, for the 12 string boom without question, and they sounded incredible on the recording.

Hope this wasn't too much information, but you got me started, so it's your fault:-)

Best regards,

Howard Emerson

http://www.howardemerson.com/ Come visit!!

• Members

Originally posted by Howard Emerson

Hey Matt,

The guitar your friend is describing is a Gibson B 25-12. Here's a link to a typical specimen:

Actually, and this relates to a post from a few days ago regarding a J-45 12 string, the first 'modern day' 12 strings were made, by request, by the Gibson company.

My criteria for 'modern day' is the song "Walk Right in, Sit right down" by the Rooftop singers. There were two guitarists in the band, Erik Darling and Bill Svanoe.

They had Gibson make them matching, round-shouldered, J-45 12 strings back in 1963 (may have been in 62 prior to the songs release), except that Eriks was a lefty.

It was actually for sale at the Mandolin Brothers for quite some time, and I guess someone finally bought it.

Those instruments are 'ground zero', as it were, for the 12 string boom without question, and they sounded incredible on the recording.

Hope this wasn't too much information, but you got me started, so it's your fault:-)

Best regards,

Howard Emerson

Come visit!!

When was the Gibson B-45 called a J-45-12?

• Members

Hi Terry,

The original instruments that Eric Darling and Bill Svanoe had made bore the J-45 12 designation. They were the first of their kind.

The B-45-12, like the guitar that Gordon Lightfoot plays, is basically the same, except that it was square shouldered. As far as the instrument that 'khameleon' posted about several days, he never answered Little Brother's question about whether or not it was square or round shouldered.

Also, a lot of the Gibson 12 strings came from the factory with what everyone is describing as a 'classical' bridge, and a tailpiece.

In fact it's the exception, rather than the rule, to find a Gibson 12 with a pin bridge.

So all of this is my way of telling you that I don't know, but Gibson is, historically, one of the worst companies in terms of bastardizing their own nomenclatures, and their serial numbers are a rats nest of horrors.

Other than that, they made some great guitars in the 1920's - 1950's :-)

I own a '27 L-5 and a '35 L-00, so I'm partial to old stuff.

Take care,

Howard

• Members

Hi Terry,

The original instruments that Eric Darling and Bill Svanoe had made bore the J-45 12 designation. They were the first of their kind.

The B-45-12, like the guitar that Gordon Lightfoot plays, is basically the same, except that it was square shouldered. As far as the instrument that 'khameleon' posted about several days, he never answered Little Brother's question about whether or not it was square or round shouldered.

Also, a lot of the Gibson 12 strings came from the factory with what everyone is describing as a 'classical' bridge, and a tailpiece.

In fact it's the exception, rather than the rule, to find a Gibson 12 with a pin bridge.

So all of this is my way of telling you that I don't know, but Gibson is, historically, one of the worst companies in terms of bastardizing their own nomenclatures, and their serial numbers are a rats nest of horrors.

Other than that, they made some great guitars in the 1920's - 1950's :-)

I own a '27 L-5 and a '35 L-00, so I'm partial to old stuff.

Take care,

Howard

Yeah, I've got to agree about Gibson's haphazard record keeping and that they sure made a lot of variation in the B-25 and B-45...I've seen examples with pin-bridges and tailpieces, and one with a string-through/pinless bridge (B-45).

Some with 12-frets clear, others with 14.

Weird, but some of 'em sound so good!

• Members

As far as the instrument that 'khameleon' posted about several days [ago], he never answered Little Brother's question about whether or not it was square or round shouldered.

round, i believe. sorry, class keeps me off the forums more often than not. ;)

Archived