I was nailed!!

Unk

• Members

They were getting pretty long on four fingers and I didn't realize how much of a difference they made. Yesterday I cut them to match the rest. Despite their functionality I hate the way they looked. I can't get used to them. I'm a tinkerer by nature and it's amazing how "in the way" they feel, um felt. They even dragged across the zipper when getting dressed. Not that they were that long, they barely poked past my fingertip but it was the visual equivalent of having the tiniest thing stuck in your teeth yet it drives you crazy.

Tonight I picked up my guitar and yikes, it sounds like I'm holding my guitar under the covers and playing it. I had grown accustomed to the nails from a playing perspective. In a short time I took the clarity and volume for granted. It'll take a couple weeks for them to get back to where they were. I'm considering Alaska picks, I think they'd be a practical compromise to real nails.

I'm sure this has been addressed here before but how many of you used fingernails vs. picks vs. good ole skin? I have a friend who gets incredible bass plucking using his thumb, no nail, but he has a substantial callouse that helps a lot. I've tried using just a thumb pick but I get too much one sided volume from it without enough from my other fingers. Whaddya ya'll think?

• Members

I can't stand having long nails. Also, I find that if I try to play with my nails my attack isn't very consistent.

I prefer to play with bare fingers if I'm going to do fingerstyle, but I'm not very good at it so I don't try it often. :( I did try the alaska pics years ago and they just didn't do it for me. They seemed big and bulky.

Mike

• Members

Hey Mike, how's it going man?!

I saw Chris Proctor at a Taylor guitar clinic not too long ago and he uses the Alaska picks. He trims them down to a more comfortable height and the edge of the picks were tucked neatly under his real nails. I had my nails at a length where I was getting used to them hitting the strings fairly consistently. I'm thinking I can trim the Alaska picks to a comparable level. Although I noticed my attack varied also I was getting a handle on it and was getting a feel for a good balance between flesh and nail. Long nails just look wrong on me. I have a great Martin Simpson series of videos and he wears those acrylic nails. Man he plays great but whenever they focus on his picking hand it reminds me of vampires. Okay, so I'm weird.

My Martin has better than average volume for a OOO but I like the versatility of that little extra you get with flesh AND nail. Maybe I'll order some of those Alaska things while I'm on-line.

• Members

Man those Alaska picks make my fingers feel like I am getting that under the fingernail bamboo torture and like they are prying my fingernails up. They also become dislodged from the end of your fingernail when playing. I have several packs of them you can have.

You know those big metal clunky shoe covers they wear for foot safety when mowing grass ? Thats what they feel like and I also think they look kinda silly on your fingers. I know many people love Alaska picks but I just cannot get used to them.

I spent the last 2 years building up the tone on my bare fingers and they are just now getting very hard and loud. They sound just about as loud as picks but much more warm and fat.

Something else I find rather strange the way it works. If I play with JUST a bare thumb and two fingers , the two fingers are not really super loud but if I slip on a thumbpick my thumb doesn't have to work as hard and more effort and power goes into my two fingers and they sound louder.

At least thats what it feels like. I go back and forth in hoping that my thumb tone will get louder and louder until I dont need anything.

My friend plays blues live almost every night of the week. He has never used anything but bare thumb and fingers. He sounds every bit as loud as anyone with any picks. As a matter of fact when he plays with a small metal Dobro he doesn't even use an amp. He shows up to the small restaurant to play and performs with no electronic equipment. His voice is loud too.

He leaves me in awe everytime I see him live. He could stand on a corner and sing and you could hear him singing and playing for a block or so.

I hope he's at the next LB Jam he's http://www.mudcatblues.com

I have no idea how people play with metal fingerpicks. I've almost given up on that.

• Members

Hey LB, I'll take you up on that offer. I'll even buy 'em from you just to try them.

When I mentioned using a thumb pick I actually had you in mind. You achieve a great balance with the pick and fingers. Guess I need to work on that. I haven't tried it for long enough. The thumb pick puts my hand a tad further away from the strings and I feel like I miss a little with my other fingers. I'll practice more.

It would be great if Mudcat made it to the Jam. I enjoyed you guys on the companion cd you sent with your dvd.

• Members

I picked up a thumbpick last summer and found it pretty easy to adapt to. I really like it, but I can really only use it for downstrokes effectively.

Hey Mike, how's it going man?!

Its been busy as hell on my end. I've been working too much, and haven't had much time for playing. :( Things should be clearing up again soon though. :)

How are things on your end?

Mike

• Members

Yeah my thumb is kind short so the thumbpick actually makes it feel just about right. I guess this is why everyone ends up finding their own thing. Thats what is so hard.

Unk, I should have your address somewhere I will shoot those to you. I have four of them. If you like them then we can settle up at the next jam. EMAIL me in a day or two in case I forget and send your mail address just in case. I think I have it from DVD orders in the past probably.

Doug :)

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

Yeah my thumb is kind short so the thumbpick actually makes it feel just about right. I guess this is why everyone ends up finding their own thing.

Doug, you definitely are one of the finest players I know to use them thangs. Jorma's got nothin' on you. But for me it's like writing with my right hand (I'm a southpaw).

I was gonna say something similar, Jon. If there's anything I'd venture to suggest it'd be to just keep experimenting like you're doing until you find something that works. I noticed Ed Gerhard is using those expensive acrylic things you'd have done at a professional manicurest. I've considered them, but heard horror stories about people developing fungus problems. Naturally semi-long nails seems to be working for me, and I've developed a system over the years for preventing them from breaking too often.

• Members

Thanks LB, you're a good man! I'll catch ya' at the Jam for sure.

Tony, I had forgotten about the horror stories associated with the acrylic nails until you mentioned it. Ick!! Even without the potential fungus amongus I couldn't take the look of those things. My son would start to wonder what was up too. :eek: Then again if I were famous for playing guitar then maybe........I dunno. I do know that I like being able to just pick up the guitar and play with no prep work required. I'll see how the Alaskas do and go from there.

• Members

Unk,
I had the same reaction as you when I clipped the nails. What happened to my tone??!!!!
I'm keeping mine about 1/8 inch now and I find that they are not wearing down like they used to. I think I'm getting a little better at using the combo of flesh and nail and that seems to buffer the "wearing down" effect on the nails.

BTW, I had acrylics for a while but got really tired of sitting in the salon with the girls. I thought for a while I was growing breasts because of it, then I realized I was just getting fat! What's a girl to do?:o

• Members

Hmmmm, well, I use a Kelly orange slick pick for my thumb. I keep my right hand nails about 3/32 long. If any longer, they get to much attack and seem to hang on the strings. I also use the paint on liquid acrylic nails and only put the acrylic on about 3/8 of the tips of the nails. It is easier to get off and repair that way. I have talked to several professional players about the acrylic and the only time you have trouble is if you don't have them taken care of. By not putting it on my whole nail I can see when it is coming loose and remove it or repair it. I have been using them for almost a year now. My real nails are so soft they will not hold up at all. Tommy E. just uses his fingers with no nail. His nails are soft like mine so he just developed calouses on his fingers from playing. Do what ever keeps you playing and makes you better. If it works keep it. If it don't, throw it away.

• Members

I worked for over 30 years in a profession where it was impossible to maintain nails. I use Golden Gate thumb pick and three Dunlop .020 metal fingerpicks. I just started out that way in the 60's because I didn't know any better I guess. One of the downsides is going into music stores and wanting to try out high end guitars. I always tell salespeople what I'm about to do and if there are objections that's fine.

• Moderators

I use nails. Mine are actually quite short, currently. The shorter they are, the less likely they are to crack or snag. Short nails also drag less over the strings, which gives a more immediate and crisp attack. It takes a good while to adapt to them, though, especially coming from long nails.

• Members

I'm with LittleBrother on the Alaska picks. They are torturous. Maybe I haven't given them enough time, but I vastly prefer fingernails. Yeah, they look a little weird - but think of the bright side. Some people will start to leave you alone.

My problem is nail maintenance. I also play bass pretty frequently. Roundwounds are hell on fingernails. It's like sanding them for an hour. They end up with strange grooves or chunks taken out of them. They also make me modify my playing technique (at least at first, then I forget and they get destroyed).

I've tried metal - I can't control them. I've tried fingertips, but I have trouble being consistent (they grab too much). And I've tried Alaska, trimmed back. I think I'd rather have somebody punch me in the face.

Maybe I should give up the bass!

Archived