Info on Ovation Legend Model...

thistledom

• Members

Hey has anyone here heard of or had experience with the Ovation Legend 5777-4ES Acoustic/Electric? I can't seem to find any info online about it or in the Ovation webpage archives...I have a line on buying one for a reasonable price but want some specs on it prior to purchasing. Any info?

Thanks.

• Members

If you can get the serial number you can try searching using their "Cracking the Ovation Code" link or you can try shooting an email to Ovation. I sent them an email about my mid 70's 12 string and they did get back to me quickly. IMO Ovations are best suited for plugging in and strumming. The roundback is also most comfortable when you have the guitar strapped on and you're standing up. They are unsteady if you try to play while sitting down.

Legends were the top of the line before the Adamas models were introduced. The deep bodied Legends have a better acoustic sound than the medium bodies, but they still sound nowhere as full or loud as a well made wooden body. The necks are easy to play however. Most people on this forum and other acoustic forums trash Ovations. If you are looking to play fingerstyle, look elsewhere since the neck is too narrow. For plugging in for strumming with a rock band, they are fine, and they are well made, but don't expect their tone to rival a wood guitar. They can also be found used for cheap.

• Members

send them an email. those guys up in CT are very friendly and helpful. i have a custom made adamas made for me by them, and they were sending me emails like once or twice a day asking me quesitons about ideas for my guitar. very nice, then again i paid for it.

i totally disagree with the statement above, the adamas model i have sounds better then most any wooden guitar i have played. i had a martin d-35 that did not sound as good. different tastes.

good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by fretwizard4hire

i totally disagree with the statement above, the adamas model i have sounds better then most any wooden guitar i have played. i had a martin d-35 that did not sound as good. different tastes.

good luck.

My apologies, I should have said "non-Adamas models". The Adamas do have the best acoustic tone in the Ovation line, IMO.

• Members

Ovation emailed back to explain that it is a Ltd. Edition from the late 90's, Englemann Spruce top...it has a deep body, nice neck, fairly warm tone played acoustically (not too bright - but maybe not as bright as I would like...) oh well, thanks for the responses/info people.

K.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I saw that Elderly Indtruments had a 5777-ES for sale about 8 months ago. It was about a 1997 model. Medium bowl, no fretboard inlays, Engelman spruce top (hence, the ES), second-from-the-top-of-the-line electronics, and I think the epaulets over the multiple sound holes in the upper bout were all walnut, not the multi colored wood like Ovation usually does. I have never played one but the Engelman spruce should be a little sweeter with beautiful overtones.

All the best!

Mark

Archived