New Ovation LX-Series guitars

Etienne Rambert

• Members

Changes:

1. Old & new electronics.

a. New: The old OP24 morphed to the OP 30 & this year to the OP Pro. Hit "Bypass" on the OP Pro, you get Al Di Meola's precise settings.

b. Old: You can get the original Ovation pickup from the 1960's as an option. You get both the old & the new together Custom Legend. It comes with two pickups, the OP Pro and the OPP 1960's era pickup.

2. The new Ovations have a brighter & more resonant sound in part because they are 33% lighter than the pre-LX Ovations.

The synthetic bowl material, which Kaman named, "Lyrachord" has been been made less dense by the infusion of glass bubbles Kaman calls "microspheres". The decreased density results in a shell that is 33% lighter. Because it is lighter, the sound is brighter & more resonant.

3. Bolt-on 5 piece neck with new truss rod that threads on two ends. You can turn the rod in 1 direction to increase the bow of the neck or the other direction to decrease it. Pretty clever.

The Custom Legend with the two pickups looks pricey - at around $1.5K . But the other US-made Ovations range from around $599 (Standard Balladeer to around $950 for the LX Elite.)

I've been thinking of buying a friend's Taylor for around 1.6K.

But I want to go check out the new Custom Legend first. The idea of both the old Ovation Pickup & the new one is intriguing to me.

If the guitars are truly brighter & more resonant, as Ovation insists - then they might be competitive even unplugged.

• Members

Originally posted by marcellis

You can turn the rod in 1 direction to increase the bow of the neck or the other direction to decrease it. Pretty clever.

.....yeah.....?

How is this different than a regular truss rod?

Sounds cool though. I might have to go play one. Do they sound any better unplugged?

• Members

Adamon6thstreet: "How is this different than a regular truss rod?"

As I read the promo literature - (I'm not a luthier - I can barely change my string pegs) - you can adjust it at two different ends.

"The new LX truss rod is a masterful invention that comprises a round steel rod threaded on both ends through tiny blocks welded to a second parallel-running square rod. The result is a rod that can be turned one direction to forcefully increase the bow of the neck and the opposite direction to forcefully pull the head back. LX owners will never experience that frustrating moment when they discover that the truss rod is loosened all the way and the action is still too low."

Archived