well, i bit the bullet and bought my first guitar off of eBay

EvilTwin

• Members

An old Kent acoustic archtop. The seller didn't give too much information on it and my email wouldn't go through to him, but I reviewed all of the other stuff he sold and it was all quality stuff.

I'm psyched. All I want is something playable. My last $50 investment (same as this archtop) was for an old La Mancha classical, and it's become one of my favorite guitars.

I've wanted an archtop to play gypsy jazz on for a long time. Now if I could just fuse my ring and pinky fingers together and hope for a miracle of talent...

I rarely see acoustic archtops mentioned here. Anyone have one they regularly play?

• Members

ET,
Congratulations on the purchase. Can't go wrong for that price. There are some good deals and lots of bad ones on ebay, but if you know what you're looking for and are extremely patient, you will be supremely rewarded.

:cool:

• Members

I've bought about 90% of my gear from eBay.

let's see...

here's the list of every single gear purchase I've ever made.

Austin AU341S Acoustic - Pawn Shop - $100
Yamaha FG412-S Acoustic - eBay - $150
Zoom 505II Multifx Pedal - eBay - $60
Boss SD-1 SUPER OverDrive MIJ version - eBay - $35
Morley PWV Wah/Volume - eBay - $30
Fender MIM Stratocaster w/ 50's mods (except stock pickups) - eBay - $240
Fender '57 Strat Pickups - eBay - $45
Behringer GM110 Analog Modeling Combo - eBay - $120
Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb - eBay - $20
Boss CE-5 - eBay - $30
Arion HU-30 Tuner - eBay - $5
EHX Small Stone (a little beat up) - eBay - $25
EHX Small Stone (better shape) - eBay - $50
Arion SAD-3 Stereo Analog Delay - Musician's Friend - $19.99
Godlyke 9v Powerall - Musicians Friend - $39.99
Seymour Duncan Woody SC Acoustic Pickup - Musicians Friend - $39.99
DOD FX52 Classic Fuzz - eBay $20 (mega deal)
Ernie Ball Mono Volume pedal - HC Forumite - trade in for Austin acoustic
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo - HC Forumite - $50
Arion SFL-1 Stereo Chorus/Flanger - eBay - $45
Essex Les Paul Gold Top Copy - eBay - sent the guy $150 but the guitar had a defect and he sent my money back
Taylor Big Baby - Haggerty's Music - $498 (overcharged :mad: )

I think that covers it. every gear purchase I've ever made, and most of it came from eBay. I think it kind of speaks for itself that if I had bought everything "retail" or from the store brand new, I could have only afforded half of that gear. Of course I don't have EVERYTHING there still, I sold most of it, but the ones I kept are in my sig.

;)

• Members

Geek, I find ebay is not nearly as rife with scams as many people think, but tell me why would you pay $120 for a GM110 when they sell new for $100?

Originally posted by geek_usa

I've bought about 90% of my gear from eBay.

Behringer GM110 Analog Modeling Combo -
eBay
- $120

;)

• Members
Originally posted by Mattface

Geek, I find ebay is not nearly as rife with scams as many people think, but tell me why would you pay $120 for a GM110 when they sell new for $100?

shipp'n charges...:p

all those prices include shipping, and i got hit hard with UPS Ground on the Behringer. I think I payed 89.95 for it with BuyItNow, and then the shipping charges were pretty fierce (those big sellers think they can charge as much as they want).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for all the replies, guys. :)

I've had it for about a week now. It's in pretty good shape. The body is in solid condition and the neck joint is, too. I shined it up, conditioned the fingerboard and moved the bridge to get the best intonation I could by ear.

But the negative thing is that it has a neck bow, as I feared. I expected it for $50. It's still very playable, but still a bit of a disappointment. It would probably be a nut buster of a science project to get it straight again and stable enough to stay that way.

On the other hand, it's a KILLER slide guitar. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by EvilTwin

Thanks for all the replies, guys.
:)

I've had it for about a week now. It's in pretty good shape. The body is in solid condition and the neck joint is, too. I shined it up, conditioned the fingerboard and moved the bridge to get the best intonation I could by ear.

But the negative thing is that it has a neck bow, as I feared. I expected it for $50. It's still very playable, but still a bit of a disappointment. It would probably be a nut buster of a science project to get it straight again and stable enough to stay that way.

On the other hand, it's a KILLER slide guitar.

So how much to get the neck fixed?

You could still be in front.

• Members

Originally posted by FingerBone Bill

So how much to get the neck fixed?

You could still be in front.

I'm not quite sure. I'm guessing it would be a fairly substantial amount. I wishfully thought the thing had a truss rod because of having a cover by the nut where one would usually be, but apparently it's just a steel support bar.

So to straighten the thing out, not only would you have to get the wood straight, you'd have to find a way to straighten that steel rod out. And since it's an old guitar, I have to consider if the repair will even hold, or if the neck will just bow back in a year or two. It might have more of a tendancy to since it appears the thing just sat in one place with no attention paid to it for a long time. The neck has probably been bowed for a pretty long time.

I have a friend back home that is a great repairman, so when I get out of college in about a week I'll give him a ring and ask what he thinks can be done.

• Members
Originally posted by FingerBone Bill

Probably easier & cheaper to fit a new neck - with a real truss rod while you're at it.

Could be.

But I'm not in too big a hurry right now. I have a few other guitars, although this is my only acoustic archtop. It only costed me $50, so I'm pleased with what I got. I'll be content to use it for playing slide until I decide if I want to go through with an overhaul repair. :D

Archived