Two Guys Finger-picking Collings & Taylor & Guild

• Members

Two guys fingerpicking two or three pretty expensive-acoustic guitars-not simulating them on their expensive synths

It's a brand new recording. I am fingerpicking my playing partner, Peter Streit's Taylor. I don't know what model. It's a nice one. He wants me to buy it for $1.6k and it's 12 years old. He's finger-picking his Collings. He's also playing a Clarence-White Byrds-Tele-kind of lead on his Red Mexican Strat. I think he is playing his big blonde 30 year old Guild in here too. There are a lot of strings jangling around. I wish we'd put a high-string part on it instead.

I sing & I play the bass on his Yamaha S-80 synth

acoustic-bass patch. (Nice bass sound!)

Can't beat synth basses anymore.

• Members

I love it Marcellis! And I think that the title..."Two guys fingerpicking two or three pretty expensive-acoustic guitars-not simulating them on their expensive synths" may go down in history as the greatest C+W tune title of all times.

;):D

• Members

Thanks Orsino.

I can't build guitars. I can't afford Peter's 1.6K Taylor he wants to sell me.

But you're right. It's a catchy title.

Peter has this software reverb plug, "Altiverb"

We used it on my voice. I'm not a good singer.

But the Altiverb reverb plug makes even my voice sound good. I was amazed.

I was a hardware guy before I heard that. Now I see the potential of software plugs. It's the richest, best-sounding vocal reverb I've ever used. But it's only made for Mac's as far as I know.

Two guys fingerpicking two or three pretty expensive-acoustic guitars-not simulating them on their expensive synths

• Members

Thanks Eric Burnley.

Two ways to take the lyrics.

(1). They are corny.

(2). They are not corny.

I wrote them under the second assumption.

But I can see the other side.

I know how to string words together.

I don't think I'm a good lyricist actually.

But I've had plays published and performed

poetry & legal articles too.

My plays are better than my lyrics. They're comedies.

I can always measure how good they are by how hard

people are laughing. With lyrics or poems, I get no

measurable results. So I don't think my lyrics or my poetry are very good. But Univ. of West Va. thought they were.

This year they put me in a volume on

Sixty-six Lawyer-Poets in America. .

It's kind of cool. They invited

me. I didn't have to submit anything.

Lawyers and poets both pay close attention to

the meanings, implications and the sound of words.

Lyricists are almost poets. But the music

is a prosthetic device. It supports words and phrases

that couldn't stand on their own as poetry.

Creative writing to me, is pure agony.

It's like having a root canal without anesthesia.

Music is a breeze. It's not even work.

That's why I compose many more

instrumentals than songs with lyrics.

If you ever meet someone who enjoys writing

lyrics, either they are lousy writers, or they

are geniuses. At least, that's my experience.

Cole Porter, Johnny Mercer, Ira Gershwin,

Woody Guthrie, Jimmie Rodgers, John Prine,

Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Lightfoot, Dylan,

they're geniuses.

As for me - I'd rather write instrumentals.

Roy

• Members

I'm somewhat in a similar mindset when it comes to lyrics: writing music comes much easier, and most of my prior creative music experience has been just in writing the music and leaving the lyrics to another member. Only recently have I begun writing lyrics, and it's been kind of difficult.

Basically what I ended up doing most of the time was to make a recording of the music and then take it in the car for a few weeks and come up with melodies and words that sound (phonetically) good with the music. After a while, I started using certain phrases here and there, and then tried to sit down with those phrases and come up with some sort of cohesive lyric material.

I've also tried recording a vocal track of just random phonetic mumbles/words that feel good with the music just to get vocal melodies down on tape (computer actually), and ended up using that track of 'words' that sounded good with the music and transforming them from something that sounds like an old Cocteau Twins lyric sheet into actual words/lyrics with a focal meaning. It's kind of like taking a puzzle and working backwards to fit a meaning into it, and has been a lot more fun than staring at a blank page telling myself to write something meaningful.

• Members

Eric Burnley: "Basically what I ended up doing most of the time was to make a recording of the music and then take it in the car for a few weeks and come up with melodies and words that sound (phonetically) good with the music. ....

"...I've also tried recording a vocal track of just random phonetic mumbles/words that feel good with the music just to get vocal melodies down on tape (computer actually)...

_________

Whoa! That's a great idea. I've never thought of it.

_________

"...and ended up using that track of 'words' that sounded good with the music and transforming them from something that sounds like an old Cocteau Twins lyric sheet into actual words/lyrics with a focal meaning. It's kind of like taking a puzzle and working backwards to fit a meaning into it...."

_________

It sounds to me like you're a good lyricist.

You put thought & effort into it, rather than

using the first word or phrase that comes to mind.

I'll contact you the next time I need some lyrics.

• Members

one good thing that did for me was to make me listen to how the words sounded. in pushing to get some cohesive meaning out of those sounds, it made me come up with some different word phrasings i'd have never thought of on my own. also made me really think about what i was writing.

sort of like plopping blobs of paint on a canvas abstractly and then trying to make a picture out of them.

Archived