Acoustic Electric Guitar Question

bg819

• Members

I'm sure you guys have answerd this before but I'm wondering what a good brand of acoustic electric guitar would be for the $300 to $400 price range. I'll play them in a store first but wanted to know what people thought was the best brand and why. I would play all styles on it and just around the house for the most part. Thanks.

• Members

Hey bg

Welcome to the forum! You'll find a TON of info from our knowledgeable forumites on this topic through a search of the forum. The reason you may not be getting a ton of responses yet is this subject comes up all the time.

While much of the feedback you will find is subjective, brands in that range to look at (and hopefully play as many as you can) are Seagull, Alvarez, Washburn Breedlove Atlas and of course some used models.

Good Luck!

• Members

If $300 to $400 is your budget, I'd try to find a used one. If you can't, don't get to caught up in brands. Play a lot and buy the one that sounds and feels the best to YOU! Since alot of pickup systems are $300 w/ out the guitar, finding an acoustic/electric in that price range with a decent pickup may be difficult. Make sure that you get one that is "active" (ie: has a built in preamp in the strapjack, you can tell this if it requires a 9 volt battery somewhere inside the guitar). If it's a passive system, you'll have to get preamp anyway (another $100 or so) be make it sound even halfway good.

Goodluck!:p

• Members

Try a used Takamine FP360 called the Pete Townsend model. These are originally over $1,000 guitars and you can get them used for around $450, maybe less if you are lucky. They have the awesome Takamine preamp and are the favorites of a lot of pros for live gigs.

Archived