Why is it always Martin vs taylor? Where's gibson?

WilsonMak

• Members

Originally posted by WilsonMak

Are there any goof acoustic guitarist that use Gibson? Sure, Sheryl crow and Chris cabbana can write and sing...but their playing skills don't have the aura of a doyle dykes, Leo Kottke or Tommy Emmanuel. I don't think the Chet atkins counts.

man I could name 100 other artists that play gibsons , but maybe finger style guys need something else(micheal hedges I'm sure doesn't record with a gibson). Hey I would take sombody that could write a song that touches me over someone that can race up and down the neck . Il'l bet every artist you like has at least one gibson at home , not on stage maybe , but on the porch .I like the tone but give me someone that has a song that touches me and they could be playing on a $100 plywood , I don't care .As for "playing skills "there's always "a faster gun "around the corner , who remembers the guy who played lead on dylan's big hit ? And I think Chet does count BTW

I own a cheap gibson and can only lust after the higher end ones but to me and all of the people I know that play my mine, they are a great guitar.Hey but Taylor do nothing for me , so goes to show you .

cheers

'00 wm-45

• Members

Originally posted by riffmeister

I'm taking a stand on this one.

Guild.

:eek:

:p

:D

I have to agree with riff. I have bought three new Guild acoustic guitars. F50 in 1967, D25 in 1975, D30 in 2000. I still have all three. Never had any problem with them. Always sound great. I let my grandson play them. With proper care and normal maintnance, his grandkids will play them.

• Members

Hmm those look intersting LB but I've never heard of that luthier before. his Dreads are about the same prices as martin. I'd have top lay them before anything else...

and refdude - guild...lol...what a sad thing they have become today. They were the company that rivaled martin at it's peak...now it's nothing but a shadow of it's former self and producing a cheap line of china made guitars...just sad what happened to guild...makes me wonder if Taylor would follow the same path someday

• Members

Originally posted by WilsonMak

and refdude - guild...lol...what a sad thing they have become today. They were the company that rivaled martin at it's peak...now it's nothing but a shadow of it's former self and producing a cheap line of china made guitars...just sad what happened to guild..

Unless something happened over the past week that I'm not aware of, Guilds are being produced in America .... a new factory in Corona California ... a good 2700 miles from the Rhode Island factory, but still on US soil. New Guilds are still great guitars ... I've been lucky enough to play several new D-55's ( including the sunburst Anniversary model ), some jumbos and 12 strings, and they rival the guitars built in the Rhode Island plant. In fact, since Fender took over they'r produced to the specs of the New Jersey made Guilds ( flat backs ).

• Members

Originally posted by Chirpy_72

Unless something happened over the past week that I'm not aware of, Guilds are being produced in America .... a new factory in Corona California ... a good 2700 miles from the Rhode Island factory, but still on US soil. New Guilds are still great guitars ... I've been lucky enough to play several new D-55's ( including the sunburst Anniversary model ), some jumbos and 12 strings, and they rival the guitars built in the Rhode Island plant. In fact, since Fender took over they'r produced to the specs of the New Jersey made Guilds ( flat backs ).

oh sure dude, I'm talking about the heaper expansion line that Guild is now offering. They still make a good product, but their marketshare has completly gone down the drain from it's peak.

• Members

When these Gibson-bashing threads roll through from time to time, I feel compelled to add my two cents. I purchased a J-185 12 string lefty through Southpaw Guitars about four months ago, and it is undoubtedly "a keeper." You could not ask for a better 12 string tone, loud, chimey, woody, pick your adjective. The guitar is absolutely gorgeous (Tobacco sunburst) and the finish is flawless (at least to my eye, here four months later). The playability is beyond anything I ever could have imagined in a 12 string. I did replace the Schertler Bluestick with a Sunrise, which, in my opinion was the right thing to do. I don't know the history of Gibson guitars, and I'm not entirely sure I'm that interested...I do know that my $2600 investment paid off, and based solely on my own personal experience, I would not hesitate to purchase another Gibson.

• Members

Originally posted by Jere Mealer

When these Gibson-bashing threads roll through from time to time, I feel compelled to add my two cents. I purchased a J-185 12 string lefty through Southpaw Guitars about four months ago, and it is undoubtedly "a keeper." You could not ask for a better 12 string tone, loud, chimey, woody, pick your adjective. The guitar is absolutely gorgeous (Tobacco sunburst) and the finish is flawless (at least to my eye, here four months later). The playability is beyond anything I ever could have imagined in a 12 string. I did replace the Schertler Bluestick with a Sunrise, which, in my opinion was the right thing to do. I don't know the history of Gibson guitars, and I'm not entirely sure I'm that interested...I do know that my $2600 investment paid off, and based solely on my own personal experience, I would not hesitate to purchase another Gibson.

Well said!

Every Gibson that I have ever owned both Acoustic and Electric has been an OUSTANDING guitar, as good or better than anything else on the market.

I have to wonder if the Gibson Bashers have ever played a Gibson, let alone owned one.

In years of checking out Gibsons at guitar store, I have only found one new Gibson with issues, a LP DC that looked like it had been dropped by a customer and it wouldn't stay in tune. One bad guitar out of thousands ain't bad.:cool:

• Members

all i have to say is that each day i wake up, i miss my j45, which is five hours away at my parent's house. if i could put it in my room with a guarantee that it wouldn't meet an unforunate fate, i'd do it without a second thought. it's not a guitar. it's a cannon between my hands. it's better than a "keeper"- right now, i want to strum my j45 more than a comely co-ed.

and that's a pretty intense statement for a man who lives in the world's largest college town. that said, CLASS TIME. :cool:

• Members

Any kind of a VS. thread is a bit weird, as if we can read ourselves into loving a brand or model. I mean, when I go into the acoustic room and start taking guitars down from the wall, they usually get a yes or a no in seconds, and then the yes's get a closer examination. The point is that the initial yes or no is about as subjective as you can get. It also totally matters to the individual player.

• Members

Originally posted by bullpencoach

Any kind of a VS. thread is a bit weird, as if we can read ourselves into loving a brand or model. I mean, when I go into the acoustic room and start taking guitars down from the wall, they usually get a yes or a no in seconds, and then the yes's get a closer examination. The point is that the initial yes or no is about as subjective as you can get. It also totally matters to the individual player.

Thanks for your hopelessly SUBJECTIVE Post confirming your OBVIOUS Premise that Guitar Preferences are SUBJECTIVE!:D

• Members

Originally posted by bullpencoach

when I go into the acoustic room and start taking guitars down from the wall, they usually get a yes or a no in seconds, and then the yes's get a closer examination. The point is that the initial yes or no is about as subjective as you can get. It also totally matters to the individual player.

I agree with this for the most part. But some guitars don't speak (warm up, whatever) immediately. I'm thinking of a particular Adirondack topped Gibson J-35 (custom shop) I had my hands on a few weeks back. Took 20 mins to get going.

Having said that, I have yet to find a guitar by a certain popular maker that floats my boat. Why, when so many love them? Because I'm me, and I gues s they just don't work for me.

• Members

Now that I think of it, I DO have a complaint about Gibson....the 10% up-charge for left hand guitars. That added $310 to the MSRP of my guitar, which hurts. Martin has no such up-charge, although I have been told that a custom-order lefty Martin will take a year to arrive. I don't believe Taylor has an up-charge for lefties either.

Finally, I want to suggest that any comparison between Martin and Taylor MUST include Larrivee. IMO you cannot beat the workmanship, feel, playability and tone of a Larrivee guitar, while keeping in the same price range as Martin and Taylor.

• Members

I played a new J45, Hummingbird, and SJ200 at the store. The J45 was pretty nice (not as good as a high end Martin), the Hummingbird sounded awesome, and so did the SJ200. They are good strumming guitars and have HUGE bass. They work well for country, acoustic rock, etc. Not good for fingerpicking. I'd still buy a J200 in sunburst if I had money.

• Members

Originally posted by proax

Well said!

Every Gibson that I have ever owned both Acoustic and Electric has been an OUSTANDING guitar, as good or better than anything else on the market.

I have to wonder if the Gibson Bashers have ever played a Gibson, let alone owned one.

In years of checking out Gibsons at guitar store, I have only found one new Gibson with issues, a LP DC that looked like it had been dropped by a customer and it wouldn't stay in tune. One bad guitar out of thousands ain't bad.
:cool:

Owned my first Gibson, a new ES-175D in 1970 at the age of 15. In 1971 bought a 60's Les Paul Custom and another one in 1973 (new one). Tried about twenty in the past two years or so...various models. Found one I would think about buying. Poor, blistery paint on most of them, "sproingy" tuners, sharp frets on the side, etc...Gibson to me is not "as good or better than anything else on the market".

• Members

WilsonMak ... One of my first threads I started here was asking about the merits of a Gibson J-45 vs. a Martin CEO-4. At the time, most people here said go with the Gibson because the CEO had a micarta fretboard and the consensus seemed to be if I could find a good one Gibson was the way to go. Anyway, I ended up getting a used 2001 Gibson WM-45 and I've never regretted it. It's a loud, versatile guitar that I can use for most any style I want. I can even fingerpick with it using fingertips and it's so loud that it works ok. Sweet voice too.

Great for rock, which is mostly what I do anyway.

The anti-Gibson bent here, or what there is of it, seems to me to be overbaked. The negative line has been been repeated so much it's taken on a life of its own that doesn't fit well with reality IMO. I'm all for supporting smaller-scale builders, but it doesn't mean Gibson is not still building exceptional guitars. And one doesn't have to go through the land of Oz to find one, although if anyone's going and needs a navigator.... :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by telenate

WilsonMak ... One of my first threads I started here was asking about the merits of a Gibson J-45 vs. a Martin CEO-4. At the time, most people here said go with the Gibson because the CEO had a micarta fretboard and the consensus seemed to be if I could find a good one Gibson was the way to go. Anyway, I ended up getting a used 2001 Gibson WM-45 and I've never regretted it. It's a loud, versatile guitar that I can use for most any style I want. I can even fingerpick with it using fingertips and it's so loud that it works ok. Sweet voice too.

Great for rock, which is mostly what I do anyway.

The anti-Gibson bent here, or what there is of it, seems to me to be overbaked. The negative line has been been repeated so much it's taken on a life of its own that doesn't fit well with reality IMO. I'm all for supporting smaller-scale builders, but it doesn't mean Gibson is not still building exceptional guitars. And one doesn't have to go through the land of Oz to find one, although if anyone's going and needs a navigator....
:cool:

The Gibson Bashers are just of bunch of sheepish foolish Trolls who don't have minds of their owns and just go by group-think, same way on the Electric Forum.:cool:

Archived