Sleeve and Tip Jack Soldering?

SunofNothing

• Members

Tip is hot, sleeve is ground.

Look at the plug, you'll see the tip metal, an insulator ring and the sleeve.

On the jack, the sleeve is the outer ring, and the tip is the tab that extends out. Plug in a jack to one in your hand and the visual should be obvious.

• Members

Tip is hot, sleeve is ground.

Look at the plug, you'll see the tip metal, an insulator ring and the sleeve.

On the jack, the sleeve is the outer ring, and the tip is the tab that extends out. Plug in a jack to one in your hand and the visual should be obvious.

ok, well that was easy.

So are they both soldered the same way?

• Members

All soldering is pretty much performed in the same manner if that's what you mean.

If you've never soldered, I recommend getting some scrap wire and practicing on that. Get some, say, 16 awg and some 20 awg. Once you get to where you can make good solder connections with 2 different sizes of wire, you can solder pretty much anything.

And make sure to keep the tip of your iron tinned. Why do I always stress this?:facepalm::facepalm::mad:

• Members

All soldering is pretty much performed in the same manner if that's what you mean.

If you've never soldered, I recommend getting some scrap wire and practicing on that. Get some, say, 16 awg and some 20 awg. Once you get to where you can make good solder connections with 2 different sizes of wire, you can solder pretty much anything.

And make sure to keep the tip of your iron tinned. Why do I always stress this?
:facepalm:
:facepalm:
:mad:

I have thanks. And I managed to remember to tin my tip after not soldering in a while! :wave:

Archived