Reached another wall on my tube amp project...

Slunderfungus

• Members

Cheers, Slu. Casey knows quite a few things i'm not so familiar with. And vice versa. So it's been fun working with him. And with you. I sense a possibility of seeing a lot more amp-build activity here in HC DIY. And there are a few other guys who pop in from time to time. I think we have the start of something good.
:)

The Brick is taken, how about The Chunk?

I agree, I have had a lot of fun on my current project and have learned a lot recently. I hope we can keep some of these threads going and build some cool projects here for everyones enjoyment.

:thu:

• Members

I agree, which is why I post questions here, that way when they are answered it is there for others to find if they are in need of the same information. I've learned quite a bit here, and still have much to learn. After this amp, I will be doing some mods to my Crate V50, and and to my Chandler Tube Driver. I want to do some work on my EHX Hot Tubes overdrive pedal, and my old Morley Boost Wah. Those might be smaller projects but they're projects all the same. I guess it will ultimately come down to how much and afford to complete these projects...I am a broke cripple after all:cop:

I want to put a JCM800 OT into my Crate V50 as well as change the PT to run 4 6V6s instead of the two EL34s. It already has two empty socket spaces on the PCB with the resistors and all, just buy the sockets and go to town. I want to take my Chandler Tube Driver and mod it to run the12ax7 at full power as opposed to starved plate, and my Morley is too bassy when boosted. I also still have my Boss BF-2 Flanger in pieces waiting to be put back together withthe Fromel Mod kit.

Yeaaup, still got some stuff to do...

By the way, is there any reason in particular reason the 2.2M resistor value is used here? will any other value work, since the original is 220 ohm wouldn't it make more since to use the 220 as a safety net?

• Members

No, the 2.2 meg is just a safety in case the wiper fails. The two halves of the 250K pot take the actual place of the two 220K resistors in the original design. It would be better to leave the two 2m2's out alltogether. If you use those 220K resistors you will negate the MV.

• Members

Slunderfungus3.gif

Hello Someone. I have not talked to you for a while and I hope you are not upset with the Factual information I have given you in the past. The schematic you posted these are real Fender schematics that I have seen. Keep up the good work and when I talk to you I am a sincere person and an Engineer/Scientist with many years of experience and I do not give out false information to the best of my knowledge. Keep Rock in Dude!

• Members

Its good to see people chiming in with help and advice. I remember asking a few questions years ago when I was first getting interested in building only to be met with hostility.

As a Boutique Amp designer do not let anyone discourage you to build your dream amp. Even when you get a good buy on a VOX-4 single ended amp like I dd I re tubed the Russian Sovteks to ECC83 and EL84 Mullard Vintage tubes and the British Bark was incredible and sounded like Jimi Hendrecks Rolling Stones tone lots of feedback and Harmonics. Keep rock in.

• Members

Alrighty then, I just ordered the receptacle to fix my variac, my choke. I even found some turret board for a steal to use in the pedal projects I am lookingto work on this Winter. Before too long I'll be playing through this baby.:thu:

I am hoping to take on another build by Spring, if not sooner, depending on finances. I want to take the Crate Vintage Club 5212 I have and use the chassis for a 5E8 Twin Amp. Its got some sweet Eminence Swamp Thangs in the cab, and the grill and tolex is in damn nice condition...a little dirty but thats easy enough to clean up. What I'd like to do is build it to run on 4x6V6s as well as the dual rectifier tubes. I' want to go with a Treble/Mid/Bass EQ, Master Volume, and Presence and hopefully give it a Gain control. I'll try and do some homework to find the best way to give it a nice aggressive sound and enough gain for Heavy Rock. Hell, maybe even find a way to make it run 4X 6V6s for 50 watts, and 4XEL34s for 100watts:idk: Then mount it back in the cab as a combo amp again. I've had the chassis out and using the cab as a 2x12 speaker cab for almost a year now, since the amp went all wacky on me.

• Members

Alrighty then, I just ordered the receptacle to fix my variac, my choke. I even found some turret board for a steal to use in the pedal projects I am lookingto work on this Winter. Before too long I'll be playing through this baby.
:thu:

I am hoping to take on another build by Spring, if not sooner, depending on finances. I want to take the Crate Vintage Club 5212 I have and use the chassis for a 5E8 Twin Amp. Its got some sweet Eminence Swamp Thangs in the cab, and the grill and tolex is in damn nice condition...a little dirty but thats easy enough to clean up. What I'd like to do is build it to run on 4x6V6s as well as the dual rectifier tubes. I' want to go with a Treble/Mid/Bass EQ, Master Volume, and Presence and hopefully give it a Gain control. I'll try and do some homework to find the best way to give it a nice aggressive sound and enough gain for Heavy Rock. Hell, maybe even find a way to make it run 4X 6V6s for 50 watts, and 4XEL34s for 100watts:idk: Then mount it back in the cab as a combo amp again. I've had the chassis out and using the cab as a 2x12 speaker cab for almost a year now, since the amp went all wacky on me.

Your 4 x 6V6 build is very workable. I built a 5F6A Bassman that uses 4 X 6V6s and is a terriffic sounding amp. You can pull the 6V6s and install a pair of 5881s and just re-bias and go.

All the stuff you want to do is very doable and should make a killer amp project.

• Members

I snagged a Ceriatone layout for a Trainwreck express off the interwebz, and it is dual biased for either 6V6 or EL34,20 watts/50watts, I can see that he put 3 diodes between the plates and ground. I like the EL34s over the 6L6s, to my ears they are warmer, and more aggressive...break up quicker. I have a set of EHX 6CA7s in my Crate V50 that I really like, they seem to have better character than even the EL34s. In fact I have even toyed withthe idea of converting it to run a quad of 6V6s as well. The PCB actually has two empty tube slots on the board:

VFX2.jpg

It looks as though Crate used the same PCB for the V50, V100, as well as the VFX 5212. Mine actually started life as a VFX5212 that some numb nuts cut down into a head and neglected to putthe effects board back in. I am damn sure going to upgrade the OT to one like I have in my current project or or for a JCM 800 50 watt.

Archived