A nylon string with steel string spacing?

yeagermeister

• Members

I know that there are some luthiers out there that build them, and I'm sure that there are some small companies out there that build them - I just can't remember off the top of my head. IIRC, Breedlove might be one.

FWIW, one of the nicest guitars I've made was a nylon string with a narrower nut and a 12" radius fretboard.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

Ovation makes them..or at least they used to. I would think that the top would really have to be braced lighter to get a decent sound. Putting nylon strings on a guitar built for steel strings will work technically, but might not sound very good.

I have one .... it's from the early seventies. It is basically a standard deep bowl design. The neck looks like a steel string neck .... certainly as far as string spacing. The headstock is slotted like a classical. It is very easy to play ... but it sounds pretty lousy .... I suspect Ovation didn't consider the bracing ... they probably just took a steel string design, changed the head stock a little, (plastic rollers intead of steel), and put nylon strings on it. I use to use it on stage years ago ... because it has a pick up that at the time didn't sound too bad, (poor by todays standard though).

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

Ovation makes them..or at least they used to. I would think that the top would really have to be braced lighter to get a decent sound. Putting nylon strings on a guitar built for steel strings will work technically, but might not sound very good.

My first non-toy guitar was an Ovation Concert Classic, and it sounded OK for what it was. It was unusual in that it had a truss rod, which was totally unnecessary. The bracing was pretty heavy, rough, and ham-fisted.

I have heard some x-braced nylon string guitars that sound OK, but they typically have much lighter x-bracing that what you find on a Steel string. IMHO, you can't go wrong with the basic Fan bracing, and I had good results with an assymetric fan layout on mine.

Archived